Lighting and Plants?

s3xtcy

Hello again everyone, my UFO880 has three lights in it, 1 24" bulb at the back and two larger ones at the front, the two at the front go however the rear one is empty and I want to go and buy a tube for it, I am planning to have some plants along the back wall (maybe some swords?) and some smaller shrub type plants at the front, and other various plants (im not sure what yet)

I do have a blue 24" bulb that goes but it makes the tank go incredibly blue and it looks wierd, I was told blue is mainly for saltwater, is this true? Thanks :)

I am planning on going Co2 (with sodastream :happy2: :happy2:) however obviousally I need to get the lighting right first.

Can anyone advise on what lighting is best for viewing and plant growth? The tank is very deep and viewing is difficult due to glare, so more light from the tank would help combat that too which would be excellent.

Thanks!!

Hey thanks for the info, I ended up getting the aqua one lot because I wanted to see my tank, may upgrade lights later if necessary for the plants to really flourish,

Speaking of plants, where to get decent plants from? my lfs has very little in the way of plants im looking for :)

Aqua One tubes only come in daylight and 15,000K tubes. You could ask the shop to order you in some Hagen PowerGlos. These are 18,000K. Plants seem to really like a higher kelvin rating :)

Plants do best under a mid range 5000 - 8000k. IMO 18,000k is way to high for fresh water plants. You can find plenty of full spectrum tubes for plants in the 6700 - 10,000k range that work well or you can grow great plants under a standard $5.00 daylight tube.

Well, IMO plants do best under a higher spectrum tube. The bulk of the lighting on Phoenix44's tank are 4xT5HO PowerGlos (18,000K), and Jennifer uses these on her tank as well, and surely you've seen how well the plants are doing? :-?

I wouldn't bother growing plants with any lighting that's under 6,500K.

Hey thanks for the info, I ended up getting the aqua one lot because I wanted to see my tank, may upgrade lights later if necessary for the plants to really flourish,

Speaking of plants, where to get decent plants from? my lfs has very little in the way of plants im looking for :)

What tubes did you get? The sunlight ones, the tropical ones or a combo of both?

I have said this time and time again. The powerglos are not the true 18000K spectrum. They have added red and blue spectra light for optimal plant growth.

That is why I always say 18000K powerglo and not just 18000K tubes. 18000K - 20000K would only be good for some reef tanks.

It is the added red and blue that make the powerglos special. That and their CRI.

The powerglos are miles ahead of any 6500K - 10000K tube and arguing against that would almost be pointless; having said that the price difference between 6500K tubes and powerglos is astronomical.

Think $5 for a 6500K tube (T8) and $65 for a powerglo T8.

About $30 for a T5 HO @6500K - 10000K and $75 for a powerglo T5 HO and $130 for a single plantrpo 18000K T5HO.

Absolutely. Win's tank is run solely off 6500K tubes I think, and the plants do brilliantly. Good is a pretty relative term and I use it to describe the growth of plants in my tank.

There are some plants (most of those with colour pigments) that just will not do all that well under 6500K tubes and so it is best to match the plants you intend to grow with the spectrum of light you intend to give them. If you need to do a trade off with the spectrum, and use 6500K lights, you will need to increase the intensity of those lights to deliver an increase in performance, if I can call it that.

KP grows some amazing plants under 14000K - a very unusual colour light as it is usually a trade off for marine keepers between one lower life spectrum and a blue spectrum tube. That's a halide, and so the plants respond to it in a very different way. A 6500K halide will provide amazing results because of it's spot intensity.

If you want green plants, 6500K is fine, but the tank will look odd in my opinion as it's a very crisp white. That's when you mix a warmer spectrum light; but then you lose some of the colour on some fish. If you want to grow a wide variety of plants without having to increase the intensity of the light you provide, go for the powerglos and don't look back.

Many have made the switch and not one person is unhappy about the switch. It's more expensive, but easier and the plants will do better.

As Joshlikesfish said, you don't need fancy lights but then you do somewhat restrict what you can have in your tank and how the plants grow.

Some of us like Simon and Zev have been using 6500K tubes for years and years and have always had good success with them.

Main question is - what are you trying to grow; how fast do you want it to grow, and to what extent are you willing to go to have a planted tank?

Food for thought I hope - There is no single correct way; just different ways each with their pros and cons.

Any suggestions as to what plants she might like P44?

Haha, if by She you mean me, then She is a He :an!gry lmao

I was only looking for a few plants, not a heavily planted tank, as the main attraction I want is the piece of wood and the fish, I just wanted the plants to make it a little more natural and fuller, plus give the fish places to hide, play, and everything else they get up to :P

I seem to have created some controversy with the lighting I have, so to clarify I have the following:

The rearmost bulb is the smaller 23.5" which is a Aqua One "Tropical" tube, it comes in a pinky coloured packet and says Tropical on it, it does not give the light spectrum on the packet..

The middle tube is the same type, Aqua One "Tropical" but is 30W and is 36" long,

The frontmost tube is a Aqua One "Sunlight" tube, also 30W.

The main problem I was having is that the tank was incredibly dim and was difficult to see anything beyond half to two thirds into the back, especially during the day as there is alot of reflection off a fully curved tank.

The plants I think I will try to grow is a long amazon sword (and maybe a couple of different colours) along the back walls, and some lower shrub type plants in the front, im the first to admit i dont know much at all about plants so I am sorry about the lack of names or exactly what im looking for :-?

I have read a fair bit and ive learnt there are two main types of planted tank, high spec and low spec, from what Jennifer was writing about in the plants section there was a fair bit of information required so I will do my best to give what is needed now.

Tank : UFO 880, 305L,

Substrate : Black fine "midnight" gravel. approx 3-4cm covering across the entire floor (26kg in total)

Fish : 2x Tiger Barbs, 4x Odessa Barbs, 2x Angels, 1x Geophagus Jurupari, 1x Geophagus Surinamensis, 1x (large) Clown Loach, 1x Bristlenose Pleco, 1x Redspot Pleco, 2x Opaline Gourami, and 1x Male Black Swordtail.

Filtration : CF1200 and Eheim 2213 External Canister Filters

Flow : Good througout the tank, the CF1200 spraybar points downwards slightly from the top just under the water level which gives good movement throughout the tank, the plants that are currently in there all sway slightly as if in a breeze no matter where the fish push them around to.

Co2 - None yet however depending on how this planting thing works out I will go for a Sodastream setup with regulator - only plan on having it on during the day.

Ferts - None yet, but again as per above..

UV Filter - Running constantly.

Lights are currently running on a timer - from 0700 to 2200, only due to working long hours, hardly ever get to see the tank if they are much shorter than that :(

Sooo... Reccomendations for a lowtech, low level planted tank? Although I love P44's tank, with the insane amounts of beautiful plants, its not quite feasable in this situation.

Thanks for everyones help :)