Native fish in shops

Mikey

Morning all,

Just a query... are the natives that are for sale at fish stores captive bred or wild caught?

Reason I ask is if they are captive bred, I'd rather purchase them if they are captive bred than take them from wild populations.

I will be going into HFF today at lunch, and I'll ask them as well.

Just thought someone on here might know.

Cheers.

So I went into HFF today and had a chat about the natives...

The way I understand it from my discussion with the staff member is (although maybe I misunderstood something):

Most of them are captive bred, and the MTI has a licence which apparently allows them to capture and sell wild ones as well.

In the stock that was available at HFF there was a wild caught redfin bully and a bunch of Inanga and Kokopu.

The HFF staff member has directed me to MTI website for some more information. So I will go onto that and have a look.

Looking at P44s post it seems I may have stumbled onto something interesting...

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone is interested I saw some fat bullies, some inanga and koura at World of Water in Hamiltron today.

From what I'd seen about bullies in here I expected them to be timid but the ones in the outside tank followed my finger along the glass with their chubby cheeks. :love:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sophia, although I have kept various rare natives, I keep coming back to the bullies as the best native aquarium fish ever - easy care, easy to find, easy to adjust and SUPER curious and always up to something :love:

How about for pond fish? Was talking to my father in law yesterday and he's wanting to put some natives in his pond. I'm not really sure which would be good or where to get them?

Depending how big the pond is, I would suggest Banded Kokopu...

They get to a good size, they are a cool looking fish and they will often chill out in one spot, so you will actually be able to view them better than things like inanga/bullies etc.

This is just my opinion, maybe Stella or another native expert would have another option?

I'm learning quickly... but still learning nonetheless :)

Depending how big the pond is, I would suggest Banded Kokopu...

They get to a good size, they are a cool looking fish and they will often chill out in one spot, so you will actually be able to view them better than things like inanga/bullies etc.

This is just my opinion, maybe Stella or another native expert would have another option?

I'm learning quickly... but still learning nonetheless :)

By my approximate measurements it will be about 68,000 liters.

• 6 months later...

Giant bully or black flounder are cool to keep and get to a decent size but you probably never see them in your pond due to their benthic and sedentary habits so probably better in a big tank. most people think they are better in brackish water but they have been found quite far inland so can live in completely fresh water . I had estuarine stargazer once was pretty cool looking fish but didn't do much just sat around doing nothing only ate live food so I let it go again.