help needed with buying a new tank

nativelover

• 5 months later...

The filter can't pump air, only water, so you need to get the filter and pipes filled with water before you turn it on.

I don't know if that filter has a 'self-priming' system or not, but what I do is this:

Disconnect the outflow pipe (ie the one that returns water to the tank) at the tank end,

Hang it down into a big bucket,

Suck on the pipe to start a siphon from the tank, through the filter and into the bucket.

Shake the filter a lot to help get the air out of it.

When all seems well (and BEFORE the bucket overflows ;) ) put your thumb over the end of the pipe, reattach it to the outlet fitting and turn on the filter.

You may need to spend some time rattling to filter to get rid of remaining air bubbles.

I have an AquaOne 1200 - I find it really good.

One of the big things you have to watch is that the O-Ring is on the top basket is on the basket and not on the top of the canister as it always ends up there each time you open it up.

As for getting it started - I have got it down to a fine art! I make sure the canister is filled to the top (in the bath as there is some water displacement when you put on the lid)

Turn taps to OFF but do not attach to canister just yet. Submerge in tank water till all air is out. Hook up to the U-Bends a then attach to canister -the pipes should be filled with water. If some air has managed to get in pipes then top up with a jug with spout) Turn pump on then open taps.

HTH