One discus is smaller...

JazzyJeff

I get 5 baby discus all at the same time in about August last year - They are beautiful and I love them BUT one of them is way smaller than the others... I am a bit concerned that its growth is being "stunted" I could move it to another tank by itself where there are other fish. Would the stress of being the only discus outway the benefit of being away from the growth inhibiting hormones?

Anyone got any other/better ideas?

Currently they are in a 200l tank - I have a heavily planted 100l tank that I can move it to.

I too stock more discus than needed in a 225L tank.

They won't all be there by the end; and some will have to be sold as they mature.

That's just how they are. Incompatibility leads to aggression.

OH! Theres another option - sell the small one... reckon anyone will want a small guy that may have stunted growth?

I get 5 baby discus all at the same time in about August last year - They are beautiful and I love them BUT one of them is way smaller than the others... I am a bit concerned that its growth is being "stunted" I could move it to another tank by itself where there are other fish. Would the stress of being the only discus outway the benefit of being away from the growth inhibiting hormones?

Anyone got any other/better ideas?

Currently they are in a 200l tank - I have a heavily planted 100l tank that I can move it to.

I have the same issue with 10 Blue Diamonds I bought. Six of them are growing very well, 3 not so well, and one not at all! I took the small (runt) one out and put it in a 35l QT by itself and it put on 0.75cm in one month, feeding high protein foods as well as flake/Colorbits etc. Water changes only twice a week. Unfortunately I needed the QT for a sick fish so he ended up back with his siblings, and now he is not growing again. Am going to move him and one of the other smaller fish into the QT again.

This seems to be the norm,you will always get one or two that don't grow that well out of 5 or 6

Buying 10 like fishplants did will tend to get you more that grow out better,but same thing applies some won't grow

There is a higher risk when buying smaller discus under 75 mm or even 50 mm

but this is weighed up with the cost of the discus being much less

This seems to be the norm,you will always get one or two that don't grow that well out of 5 or 6

Buying 10 like fishplants did will tend to get you more that grow out better,but same thing applies some won't grow

Yeah it is a risk you take when you buy them little - it just made Discus affordable for me but I do feel a bit stink that one doesn't get to grow well.

• 2 weeks later...

don't worry about it dude. always happens like flosty said. you'll get the alpha and the runt, and the others somewhere in the middle. just the pecking order way for these cichlids. but yes i agree, do more water changes to remove more of the growth inhibiting hormone

• 3 weeks later...

I grew all my Albino strains out from 30/40mm and the five I kept myself are currently 100mm+ and only one smaller discus about 70/80mm but I did nightly 70% waterchanges, the same however did not go for the three blue diamonds where I lost two for no apparent reason.

Bigger fish 60/70mm are slightly more but less hassles...definitely not as many waterchanges needed :)