$10 tank stand

the-obstacle

3 months later I finally got around to finishing the framing of the stand for the big tank. It cost me ~$10 for screws and the rest was all just lying around the house from previous projects. The legs came with the original stand which was way too thin which explains why the base broke out of the tank. And yeah, ok, when it's finished it'll have cost a bit more but for now that's what it owes me.

img7337vf.th.jpg

img7336c.th.jpg

I might need to think about a little bit of bracing on the ends and maybe a bit on the back but i'd have to buy the wood for that at this point and that feels like cheating. I'll then add a bit of mdf/particle board to the shelf and top of the stand, a couple of licks of paint and I can then start on the tank itself.

$10 :o Lucky. Looks nice and sturdy too. I think my 200L stand cost me $580 to build and finish.

I think you are well on your way to having a pretty low final price.

You probably already know, but just in case, make sure you use a top primer if you use MDF. That stuff swells like crazy if it gets wet. :D

Yeah, I was planning on sealing the mdf on both sides before screwing it to the stand just to be sure. To be honest I hate the stuff but the price of it versus poor quality ply wood of the same thickness means there's really no choice. Even with the cost of sealer it's still less than half the price of the equivalent ply.

I've got a sheet of something that looks like concrete (asbestos maybe? i'm not cutting it just in case) that came with the original stand and as this is just a stand for the basement that might suffice for now.

Yeah, I was planning on sealing the mdf on both sides before screwing it to the stand just to be sure

Yeah good idea. It would be devastating to find the mdf swollen somewhere you wouldn't usually notice.

You could also line the inside edges with Sellys no more gaps just to be sure.

To be honest I hate the stuff but the price of it versus poor quality ply wood of the same thickness means there's really no choice

Ha, I am glad somebody else came to that conclusion. I decided to use 6mm mdf for the sides and back and 12mm for the front and cupboards just to save costs.

The ply is probably much better in terms of longevity but the mdf was far cheaper and has a better finish than that cheap ply.

PPG make a really good sealer/undercoat called 3 in 1 if you haven't brought any yet.

Better than the dulux range IMO. and anything else is going to be expensive.

make sure you post updated pics :nilly:

the worst place for MDF swelling is the edges, i would try a local cabinet/kitchen maker for an offcut of melteca. the face has paper & plastic pressed onto which will be better than a sealer on the face, then you only have to worry about the edges.

add more bracing, spending a little more now may save you from spending alot in the future.

Turns out Bunnings have sheets of 12mm ply for $40 each on the shore. The same thickness MDF was $50 so I'm in luck! Stand will be complete tomorrow and hopefully I can get someone to give me a hand siliconing the tank back together.

really? when i was in the joinery trade premium grade MDF was under $30 per 2400x1200x16 sheet & 12mm ply was around what you paid.

really? when i was in the joinery trade premium grade MDF was under $30 per 2400x1200x16 sheet & 12mm ply was around what you paid.

Yeah, I was seriously shocked at the MDF prices. I even went to the pre-cut section to see if buying smaller sheets would save money but they worked out more expensive (as I expected).

This ply was on special and the non-special priced 12mm ply was heaps more than the MDF though.