new 8ft tank

myfishybuisness

12mm glass is ok on a tank 900mm tall if the tank is narrow as the side glass provides a high level of support. A tank up 800mm wide and 900mm tall has a safety factor of around 3.2 and if it's under 600mm wide the safety factor is over 4.4

It's about understanding where the forces are in the panel and how the other panels in the design support each other. Once the front panel width is as long as the height the support from the side panels rapidly diminishes...

• 1 month later...

I had a tank made by Greg also 1800x600x600, had it for two years before I have to have all the silicone replaced - not sure why this would fail, it appeared rotten with large air bubbles forming along the seal and would just peal off in places. E-mailed him to ask his opinion on what might have gone wrong and he never replied. I don't know whether it was down to anything he did or did not do, but I would not buy from him again because of it.

I've had silicone peel off the same way before as well. Yet, the same brand and part number of silicone worked fine for over 15 years on several other tanks I made. It's unlikely to be the builders fault. I never figured out why the silicone came off. I've always used the same method of cleaning and putting the tank together yet on a couple of occasions the silicone let go - maybe it's a batch issue??

I have seen tanks that would have been at least 5-6yrs old made by Greg still 100% fine. As Warren has suggested it was maybe a bad batch of silicone or had had an off day and didn't clean that part or tank as well as he should have it is hard to tell..

Yeah, I can completely understand that and it could have been just my bad luck, but it was more the fact that he never replied to my e-mail that left me with a bad feeling about it all. Anyway it is all fixed now, fish are happy and so am I.

Yeah, I can completely understand that and it could have been just my bad luck, but it was more the fact that he never replied to my e-mail that left me with a bad feeling about it all. Anyway it is all fixed now, fish are happy and so am I.

try contact him again.. often people read an email, forget about it, think they've replied, get busy, etc. i heard a stat that about 50% of actual businesses don't even reply to people when they email in. crazy.. but definitely happens.

re the silicone.. perhaps it wasn't allowed enough time to set or there was an inconsistency in the seal that gradually wore away under pressure.

Heya, similar kind of age to me etc + taste in fish :wink:

EXPECT ADDITIONAL COSTS! Sure, you might plan out things precisely but in my experience there are often little/or big things that crop up, have extra cash available.

I bought my tank at when I was 17 last year, 2nd hand off A.prophecy on the forum, 6ft x 2ft x 2t. So far I'd estimate my costs for setting up, maintaining/fixing stuff at almost 2grand.

Like you I wanted my tank in my room :happy1: . In terms of noise it depends on what you perceive as noisy. I have an fx5 running on the tank (quiet as), I had to buy a new pump to get water to the main tank from sump cos the original one was ridiculously loud, the only sound I have now is the noise of bubbles/sloshing water coming into the sump -which is fine for me, maybe not for others.

In terms of tank design, give yourself at least 5cm of space at the top of the tank between water and glass (make sure if you have a sump that the overflow is not too high), my one only has 2cmish which is undesirable = fish hit the roof hard (especially aros), lots of sloshing around. Also make sure the glass fits flat on the tank, not leaving gaps between bracings cos water will splash out onto the floor.

I fully recommend a sump. Especially with my fish, or for that matter any large fish fights may occur etc, a sump not only helps filtration but also serves as an effective way to separate fish/grow out babies.

Steel stands are the way to go. If you disagree listen to DavidR.

Lino/tile/hard floor I would say is a MUST. The amount water that has ended up on the floor has been insane, get a suitable flooring put in for a large tank.

Lights will be costly, steel stands are expensive, and then whatever else you want to put in the tank is up to you.

It was a slow process for me, I had to save for a long time, and it was key for me to have a job to pay for the extra crap.

I would budget for $2500 for an 8ft tank, be on the safe side for sure.

Also; plan how to get the tank into the room, just ask henward who helped out with mine, was a total pain in the arse to get the tank through the hallways, and mine was only 6ft lol.

just my 2cents