Help with a Native Freshwater Biotope Pond

Joe

Hi guys,

I have a friend who wants to set up a native freshwater pond. It is approxiamtely 4m in diameter and is about 60cm at its deepest point. They want to grow ferns around the side, and I suggested they stock it with Upland Bullies and some species of Galaxias (these are non-diadromous so they are able to breed in the pond). I suggested smooth cobbles and gravel, and some sand, for the substrate. The pond is in an area where it gets sun for most of the day. It has that black plastic stuff on the bottom, and a beautiful mini strean for the water to flow into it (this isn't quite finished yet).

I have some questions though:

Is the fish choice suitable?

What sort of pond filter is best (something durable and good-quality)? For bio-media I suggested Fluval BioMax.

What flow rate should the pump be? Native fish like a moderate to strong current right?

What sort of native freshwater plants will be suitable? (both bog plants and fully submersable plants)

Thanks,

Joe

Interesting question as I think I have got my old man to do the same to their pond, about 5*8m spring/run off fed. The major problem there is nitrates and phosphates :(

Plants:

Lemma spp & Azolla filiculoides for the surface to keep the temps lower and provide shade - these will need to be kept under control or may cover the whole pond

Ranunculus amphitrichus for some of the side, like the water

Some of the sedges might do ok, "cutty-grass" carex geminata?, carex secta?, carex flaviformis?, carex coriacea?

Scented broom if there is room?

Parataniwha if there is shade

Sweet-scented grass

Flax

Fish:

Inanga - wont breed but don't mind slightly warmer water and easy to get hold of

Banded kokopu - wont want it too warm, and like shelter - I believe can landlock

Mudfish?

Common bullies - might breed

Crain's bully - might/should breed

I wouldn't catch non-diadromous Galaxiid as their populations are much more at risk than the 'white-bait'

Yes I am a bit concerned about the temperature if it is in all-day sun. They should look to planting small trees/large shrubs that will bush up and provide shade. Lots of ferns etc around the edges would be good, and I really like Blueether's suggestion of the Azolla and Lemna for surface shade.

Do a search for Preacher's various threads about his native pond, probably lots of inspiration there.

Upland bullies are a great idea, especially as the non-diadromous bullies seem to come out during the day, and they will likely breed there.

Non-diadromous galaxiids would likely be a waste of time - they are pretty small, making them hard to see. Also many of the species are geographically restricted and at risk. They would probably not breed in a pond.

I would suggest inanga or smelt as a schooling out-during-the-day fish, and maybe a couple of banded kokopu though they would be less visible.

I wouldn't worry about providing current for these species. Those that do really like current would be pretty hopeless in a pond.

Thanks guys.

There are already heaps of trees around the pond, and it doesn't recieve afternoon sun, only in the morning and midday.

Right I'll have to try and find a source of Upland Bullies. Do you know where any are Stella?

Blueether, Cran's Bullies are out as they are found only in the North Island. My friend and I live in Blenheim. Smelt and Inanga sound good, and so do Banded Kokopu.

Are there any sort of Potomogeton species that might be suitable? Or any species of Lilaeopsis? Are there any plants that look like natives, but aren't, that might do well? My friend also wants moss to grow on the side of the pond and a bit in the water. Would Xmas moss or Java moss be good for an outdoor pond?

I think it would be nice if there was a bit of a current. There should probably be good filtration on the pond - what filter will be best? If possible nothing over $1000 though :)

Yes my friend wants lots of ferns and mossy stones, which should be OK because of all the trees around the pond.

Lilaeopsis ruthiana looks really good :hail: Thanks blueether :hail: I wouldn't mind some for my aquarium :)

So does anyone know where I can get these Upland Bullies?

So does anyone know where I can get these Upland Bullies?

A stream near you ;)

They are pretty ubiquitous, and the bully you are most likely to see out during the day.

I barely know when Blenheim IS, but I think Carly lead a spotlighting expedition there a while back, she may be useful for ideas.

To be honest, just go looking! Particularly at night with a torch.

Yeah I went with Caryl on that expidition. I think it was diadromous Common Bullies and a Redfinned Bully that we saw, plus whitebait and Giant/Banded Kokopu. I went back to that same stream about a month afterwards and was upset to see that there were a couple of Kokopu covered in fungus and cottony white stuff :tears:

It will be fun looking for Upland Bullies :happy1: I read your article in the Aquarium World, "A brief introduction to native fish" or something like that, and you said that you found some Upland Bullies that had a green stripe on the dorsal fin. These sound really cool! I hope I find some like that :bounce: