What to put on top of Dalton's layer?

bobo

:)

So, will the 3/2/3cm set up I have work? Or should it be deeper? - I have heaps of Daltons and sand, not so much pebbles. I could easily go 4-5cm of Daltons/2-4cm of sand/3cm of pebbles. Just how deep do I want it?

My top layer will be a 3-6mm gravel, which seems quite large, but since I won't be doing many gravel vacs, it allows for the detritus to settle into the substrate?

I have 5cm daltons, 3cm sand, 2 cm gravel and it works really well. 3-5cm is a long way for the roots to grow before hitting the daltons. You'll find you end up planting everything in the sand anyway as the gravel isn't really any good for holding onto the plants (unless it's finer than mine or course).

Thanks for all the help guys.

I set up the tank today - probably over did it a little bit with the sand/gravel layers - I think I panicked about the idea of Dalton's clouding my water.

I obviously have a lot more planting to do.

But here is how it looks:

ss850634.jpg

In terms of stocking, we decided to go with the barbs, and I'm glad we did - they are awesome to watch.

10 Tiger Barbs (mixed regular and green)

1 Red Tail Shark

3 Bristlenose Cats

Again, thanks for the advice!

I'm not going to rush into stocking, I'll fully plant it first, and then slowly increase the bioload.

Some ideas include:

Bosemani Rainbows

Kribs

Zebra Loaches

Corys - not entirely keen, but might get due to their cleaning capabilities

SAEs - if/when I develop algae

Any thoughts? Any fish that you think are compatible with the current occupants?

I thought discus or angels wouldn't be compatible with Tiger Barbs?

Although I do agree that it would be nice to have a 'centre piece' fish.

I will certainly contemplate Plecos - I just don't know a lot about them - I'll have to read up on different types.

Yeah - I'll see if the Tiger Barbs settle down. However, with the way they were acting today I wouldn't trust the 'safe if in a school logic'.

Dwarf cichlids are an idea - however my pH tends to fluctuate a little and I think they're a little sensitive to that.

Still, they are cool.

Wow that looks awesome :hail:

Even though Tiger Barbs aren't as agressive in a group, I still wouldn't put Discus/Angels in there. You never know.

Here's some nice Dwarf Cichlids that will suit your tank :) :

Apistogramma agassizii 'Double Red'

Apistogramma 'Steel Blue'

Laetacara curviceps

Microgeophagus altispinosa

Microgeophagus ramirezi

Pelvicachromis taeniatus (these are nicer the P. pulcher)

Don't get all of them though. This is just a guideline to go by when choosing fish for your tank. Maybe get four or five pairs of different species for your tank?

I think it is good that you overdid the gravel layer. The plants will have more substrate and will love you for it :P