Can anyone identify this fish I rescued?

MattH

Hi all,

I am at a loss here! My cat came in meowing and to my surprise he had a fish for me - it was still alive. Barely.

I rushed to put it in some water but it smelt slightly salty, I wasn't sure whether it was fresh water or salt water. I have no idea about fish so it's currently in a bowl of water and has perked up a bit and is swimming around on and off. He's semi-transparent also with an orangey tinge.

All I know is that he'll need some sort of oxygen or he doesn't have long. Unfortunately I have no idea what it is! Here are some pictures:

166666_10150372514930198_627755197_16974691_1992195_n.jpg

163857_10150372514790198_627755197_16974689_1270846_n.jpg

165618_10150372514710198_627755197_16974687_6682457_n.jpg

166454_10150372513000198_627755197_16974675_4810842_n.jpg

I scoured all over Google and the closest I could get was a baby Black Koi, Koaro or Kokopu.

This has me dumbfounded, I live in a small cul-de-sac and I'm pretty confident no one has a) ponds or b) ponds with koi in them. It's a pretty cat dominated street so one would assume they'd have adequate protection and cover for a pond. And the salty smell baffles me also.

If anyone could shed some light I'd be much obliged, I don't want this little guy to go to the white light! :(

It does look like a kokopu, it will need cold water best below 20deg and lots of oxygen and water.

If you are in the waikato I have a native tank that it could live in, and others around will have native tanks as well, if you cant house it your self.

You are not legally allowed to return it to a waterway without a permit.

PS After finding a larger container, to help it heal and stop infection you could add 1/2 teaspoon of salt per letre of water - dissolve the salt well and then add it slowly over a hour or two

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Much appreciated.

Turns out it was a Kokopu. Still no idea how it managed to get into the merciful jaws of my cat, but we took it to Hollywood Fish in Mt Roskill where an employee said he has some ponds at home with temperatures suited for it and offered to take it off our hands.

All's well that ends well! He was a mighty strong fish, that's for sure.

blueether: That's a very kind offer, unfortunately I'm in South Auckland! Otherwise I would have taken you up on that. :)

I'd be lying if I said I don't miss that little slippery guy.

Though, I'm assuming it would take quite a lot of work to have something that could accomodate a fish like that? It would be quite nice, I must admit.

you could start small.. see how you like it and work your way up. 2 years ago I had one small 34L tank... now I have 4 tanks of various sizes.. it's a bit addictive.

wow, yeah, a lovely little banded kokopu. Your cat must have been feeling very pleased with itself!!

They are easy to look after, as long as you can provide what they need - mostly *cold* water, lots of room and few tankmates to fight/eat when they mature. Search the archives here for more info if you are interested :)

Best to take them as juveniles though, they adjust to captivity better. I won't take any galaxiid approaching 10cm from the wild.

Try taking a good strong torch to a local stream tonight, check out the shallows and backwaters where the water is slow or still and there is lots of wood or undercut banks. They are a treat to see in the wild :bounce:

Where would you suggest I have a look? Should I be going back to Hollywood or is Animates also okay for finding a "start up" tank? Are Kokopu's readily available or a similar type of fish? Sheesh - as if I didn't need another hobby!

BikBok: I have a few close friends who live in Wattle Downs, too. Must be great having the sea both inside and out! :)

Stella: Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were that plentyful! And yes my cat (an Ocicat, very gentle) was quite pleased with himself but rathered it would be a trophy than a meal. The Hollywood Fish employee was quite taken back with how little injury it suffered from a cat.

A 'startup' tank would probably be hopeless for native fish, those kits are more designed for tropical fish.

The best thing you can do is learn about things first. Have a good look through the natives archives here, check out your stream at night and get a feel for the fish and what they need. If you do decide to go for it, I have just published a book on keeping native fish (including kokopu) which covers the different species, how and where to find them, and great detail on how to look after them. A must-read ;)

Check out this video taken a few years ago of my kokopu at feeding time, crazy fish!

http://www.youtube.com/nznativefish#p/u/13/sy81vQ97zLo

(admittedly I wouldn't keep that many together again, I got them as whitebait and they were just starting to mature and get.... vigorous. They would have these crazy fights where two would start circling with their jaws open then attack each other, their skin would be shredded and hanging off in streamers! Eventually a bystander would call time. By the next day they looked completely unscathed. Amazingly robust animals)

So... is the cat ok? 8)

Where would you suggest I have a look? Should I be going back to Hollywood or is Animates also okay for finding a "start up" tank? Are Kokopu's readily available or a similar type of fish? Sheesh - as if I didn't need another hobby!

BikBok: I have a few close friends who live in Wattle Downs, too. Must be great having the sea both inside and out! :)

Stella: Thanks for the info, I didn't know they were that plentyful! And yes my cat (an Ocicat, very gentle) was quite pleased with himself but rathered it would be a trophy than a meal. The Hollywood Fish employee was quite taken back with how little injury it suffered from a cat.

yes, wattle downs is great. Sea on one side.. ponds on the other! We live right opposite one of the pond reserves which has ponds and a lovely walk. Have often seen large mysterious fish which we have yet to identify. Lots of shrimp and also unfortunately gambusia (mosquito fish)

Hollywoods regular prices seem to be the most competitive for tanks but keep an eye on animates - they do have some really awesome specials. i got my 170L tank and 70L tank for half price.

We almost got an ocicat years ago... but heard about their hunting/roaming instinct and so went complete oppose and got a Ragdoll lol - from the same breeder. My sister has Bengals .. they sure can hunt too! Stunning and beautiful but too active for me! I've seen them jump from floor to shoulder in a single leap and then on to the top of cupboards. they're always trying to get in the sink, shower, they tip over water bowls to try and get wet ha ha. Cats are cool

my mother in -law has a cat that came to live with them from a few streets over its a black moggy called nugget(as sooty was deemed too rascist :dunno: ) it swims in the creek nextdoor and has caught a 2 foot eel and brought it home.

i remember catching banded kokapu in an orchard ditch when i was young in the moutere area quite large adults they would take bread crumbs from the surface