Road bikes?

dreams

hey guys,

I'm looking for a cheap old road bike that will allow me to keep up with my mates, instead of struggling with a mountain bike! &c:ry

Looking for something below $150

OR I have a 90cm T5HO light unit with 2 working tubes I could swap

Pretty much anything considered, so if anyone has an old road bike in Auckland lying around unused that doesn't need Major attention, has some form of gears and would fit my height of 167cm, PM me with some details!

Good luck at that price mate. :)

You can get some really good bikes off trade me that are 10 - 15 years old, but they usually get snapped up pretty quick.

This is really good except the guy has customized the handlebars and you would need new levers ect.

Good luck at that price mate. :)

You can get some really good bikes off trade me that are 10 - 15 years old, but they usually get snapped up pretty quick.

This is really good except the guy has customized the handlebars and you would need new levers ect.

Yea, hoping to find something old school so it won't cost too much,but don't wanna get caught up repairing alot, though don't mind replacing tires, brake pads etc.

Something with a bit more than 10 speed good for going up hills faster? (used to 21 speeds on MTB lol)

Yea, hoping to find something old school so it won't cost too much,but don't wanna get caught up repairing alot, though don't mind replacing tires, brake pads etc.

Something with a bit more than 10 speed good for going up hills faster? (used to 21 speeds on MTB lol)

You could find something oldish that needs some basic repairing, but even then you are looking at $ 50 -100.

To be honest there is not much difference between the top and low end gear ratio regardless of what you get. They usually just put a lot of gears in the middle which can get annoying.

Don't go too old school, I would look for late 90's style. Basically if it has chrome stuff on it then don't get it.

For a few reasons including rust and the buy price vs upkeep ect etc.

At the end of the day it is up to you and depends on what you are after.

If you find something on trade me post it up here and we can debate its potential :happy2:

EDIT: in my above post I added a link but I am not allowed :(

In TM, they split road bike categories into Small (52cm & under), Medium (53 - 56cm), and Large (57cm & over)

Do the measurements refer to the centre of the crank to the top of the seat tube?

If my height is 167cm, which category would work for me? small and med? :-?

• 3 weeks later...

So....I ended up spending alot more than $150... :nilly:

I Brought this;

156090050_full.jpg

TM Description;

Alloy

Dollar reserve

53cm (to centre of top tube).

RSX componentry.

Professional weld to seat stay.

Good training bike

Got it for $265, yes it was definitely impulsive... but I'm pretty happy with it :) Everything is in a well maintained condition and all gears and brakes shift very smoothly.

From research, Cannondale (USA) seems to be a very good bike maker. Back wheel is Campagnolo (Italy) and Front is Mavic (France) Its pretty light with the frame made from aluminium alloy and the Shimano RSX STI gear levers are very convenient when I get to the hills. Any opinions welcome

156090180_full.jpg

156090208_full.jpg

156090239_full.jpg

156090271_full.jpg

My first bike had a steel frame, ancient gears, was a "tarani" and cost just as much :lol:

I think you got a good deal!

yea, I 'think' it was a good deal as well, wasn't supposed to spend that much, but its nice to ride :)

It also came with 2 sets of spare brake levers, a 7 disc cassette and a bike shirt.

it needs an engine :dunno:

:dunno: I'm the engine? Got up to 62km/h downhill :lol:

Put it this way, road bike seats are built for speed and not for comfort, so shorts with a padded butt are a must, or you will experience chaffing that is most unpleasant in the most embarrassing places that causes you to adopt an ungainly style of walking so as not to aggravate said chaffing :o

Put it this way, road bike seats are built for speed and not for comfort, so shorts with a padded butt are a must, or you will experience chaffing that is most unpleasant in the most embarrassing places that causes you to adopt an ungainly style of walking so as not to aggravate said chaffing :o

Trust me :o :lol:

Yeah what they said. 8)

Also you can get bruising depending on your riding style. But walking like you need a zimmer frame is good enough reason to get the pants.

A good way to set the bike up is to sit on the bike balancing against a wall and then try to get into a comfy riding position. Then look down at your front axle/hub, if you can see it you need to raise the bars so you can only just see the front of it. ( the rest should be hidden behind the handle bars.)

If you can't see it at all and cant lower the bars then raise the seat a bit :)

Hope that helps. But you will still need the shorts :)

Secretly, I sewed a folded over shammy into my undies when I was young, it works but it is a bit rough. Don't tell any one :roll:

What sort of clips do the pedals take?

Can you get road bike shoes with the recessed cleats, because if you can, get those! - I have unfond memories of doing the splits at an intersection when putting my foot down to balance, because plastic and metal clips give you no purchase on tarseal :oops: