internet providers

waterlogged

so heading back to the flat in palmy soon and need to sort out internet providers.

we were with xtra on the unlimited band width plan but they have since stopped that.

there are 5 of us students and we will be using about 20G upwards. if possible around 40G

looking at around $100 a month for phone and net

any suggestions?

Just be aware that on slingshot, they use prioritisation. If you expect great speeds on p2p or streaming without buffering outside of the hours of 8am - 4pm mon - fri then you might be disappointed. If you are using a site like youtube for streaming, speeds will quite often be better than other ISPs as Slingshot have a heavy investment in caching technologies. Uncommon streams however may suffer. Slingshot is an excellent value for money ISP. They run forums which may give you an idea of the kind of issues people are having. If you join and do have issues, feel free to send me a PM on the forums as I am an administrator and should be able to assist or help get assistance.

Snap. Either 'Snap Advanced' or go for 'naked DSL B' and use a SIP(VoIP) phone* for low cost calls.

*Most smart phones can do SIP these days, then eac student could have their own 'local' number for about $10 a month or free if they dont want a local number, just the cheep outgoing calls.

you see all there referrals i'm generating for SS phantom?

When do I get my data block? :nilly: :tears:

HAHA

No data blocks any more .. I got them all :P

P.S. Slingshot is still pretty good. I use them myself. However, the experience you get depends on the type of traffic you use. They are a low cost / high data ISP, meaning something has to give. Money doesn't grow on trees. But for the money you spend, you can get a decent amount of data. With those 40GB pro plans, you also have 6 hours between 2AM - 8AM where your usage is free every night. People do report up to 15GB / night on that giving you up to 450GB (free off peak) + 40GB (plan data) in a month for $55.

Depends what common sites you're talking about, but if you're talking about bittorrent etc from the big public sites, speeds should be reasonable as slingshot have p2p caching that assist with those.

Given you said you only want about 40GB of usage, I think you should be fine on slingshot.