Skimmers

Ira

Just had a stray thought, I know skimmers are used on marine tanks but I was wondering...Why can't they be used on freshwater tanks? If I'm understanding how skimmers work they basically stir up the water so all the garbage turns into a foam then skims off the foam? Does this not work with freshwater or is it just much easier and cheaper to do a water change?

• 3 months later...

Hi Ira

Saw that too. Maybe we have to put it first through a strainer to make the bubbles smaller. :P . The ads I read about them say it can be used for fresh OR/AND seawater. Have to read up on their principal and uses. I saw one in the LFS. Nearly 2 foot tall. Not too expensive. And it said, freshwater and marine?!!

So there you go

John

Ira said...

> Why can't they be used on freshwater tanks?

They are sometimes used as a way of adding ozone to tank but

in general, as has been said, PSs are generally much more efficient

on saltwater tanks. If you've got enough crud in your freshwater

tank that the PS is doing much, then you'd be much better off

doing lots of water changes.

I have seen a PS used to remove brown staining from a tank

that had too much badly prepared driftwood in it. It kind of

worked, eventually, but pre-soaking the wood would've been

a much better way...

Andrew.

Hi all

The LFS I rang up, told me they are for marine only.

I looked at a site, where an industrial chemist working for a whatever company says. They can be used in freshwater, BUT are a must in a marine tank.

By the way, they don't really do much in a freshwater aquarium.

John

• 2 months later...

Protein skimmers work on Marine tanks because saltwater is more sticky than freshwater.

The dissolved mineral content and it make-up create an air bubble that is very sticky compared to a freshwater bubble. The protein sticks to the surface of the bubble and collects at the water surface.

As previously said, by the time freshwater accumulates enough rubbish you are better off doing water changes. At this stage your freshwater fishes health will be in jeopardy anyway. They may have some effect in certain cases, but for the general freshwater aquarium they do not work efficiently enough to make them viable. You can buy a lot of activated carbon for $1000, about the cost of a protein skimmer good enough to be a little effective in freshwater.. At cheap one will not work at all in freshwater.

We had a really long think on this the other night.... (bear with me)

What ya need is to feed your tank water into a holding tank with salt water added and a skimmer, this removes the extra nutrients. It then gets fed to a thermal water purifier where the salt gets left behind but the pure water goes back to the tank. It would work really slowly but would use the skimmer.

Hmmmm maybe you're right, a straight bio filter would be best :wink::wink:

Hi

Not only would I get a hell-of-a-filter but also a good Digital camera on top of it. Do you really need it? To find out the dissolved oxygen, you have to fork out about $700.00. Then it gives you a figure. What do you do with it???? Nothing. But you can tell all your fishfriends you have a Dissolved Oxygen Meter.

John

I was reading on www.reefcentral.com a few months ago about people using skimmers in freshwater setups. A large number of people used them for very large freshwater tanks to remove the 'skim/film' from the top of the water if it became present. But they were slightly modified to better suit that purpose... ? Not sure if its a good idea or not, seems like easier ways to do that, but the common thing was very large tanks.

Hi Kriber

I cannot imagine having an intake for the surface as well, or only. Think about it, air will also get in it. Your cannister will NOT like it. Try to take the inlet and lift it towards the surface and let air in. Chances are, the Flugal or Eheim will just gurgle a bit then stop.

John

I have a surface skimmer. It draws about 25% of its water from the surface and the rest from the bottom. It is specially constructed to stop air being sucked in.

Its not to be confussed with a protein skimmer however. It is completely different. It does a very good job of removing surface scum.