ground cover plant

Brianemone

Brianemone, I found an aquatic plant in Mitre 10 (New Lynn) a few days ago that I thought I might try. So far so good although I had to anchor it with a couple of DH's fishing sinkers (seemed appropriate, no hooks in sight though!) to make it stay on the bottom!

It's called Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis - Oxygenating. A lovely plant that forms a carpet at the bottom of your pond. Great for foraging fish. Will take greater depths than other oxygenating plants. Planting depth up to 1m in good light.

I found more on it here:-

http://species.fishindex.com/plant_90.html

It's also called Micro Sword and comes from South America. I planted the whole thing but it could be broken up into smaller pieces. You really need to have a deep layer of substrate to put it into - it looks like it's sitting on the top of mine, I need more gravel!

It cost $11.95 for a large plant and they had lots more bog plants, quite a good selection really.

I also found a good size plant of Hair Grass (Lilaeopsis mauritius I think) yesterday at the Bird Barn in Lincoln Rd plus another one that looked like Hair Grass but wasn't - only $4 each but they were the last ones! Another LFS also have it but theirs are piddly little plants for $4.95, they look like they'd keel over if you looked at them!