how to set up a dwarf cichlid tank

D-Hawk

hi I just got a three foot tank and have covered the bottom with black sand substrate and got a queen marble sword plant, I heard that cichlids in general need lots of caves and hiding places to not fight? is this true? please help with Ideas!

thanks :bounce: :nilly: :happy2: This is my friend doing the smileys!

On the following post of your in the trade and exchange section - wtb 89-99cm tank - people gave you some suggestions. Before you even try to set up the tank you need to decide what sort of dwarf cichlids you want - google is your best friend for a variety of suggestions. A lot of cichlids can not be kept with plants and yes you do need rocks and hiding places as some types can be aggressive. Have a good search on the internet and then come back and ask the questions :D

Are you going to stick all of those fish in a 3ft tank :o Or is that your wish list? Have you been through that list and seen what of those fish you like and what may be suitable going on internet profiles etc? Have you googled "3ft dwarf cichlid tank" and seen what pops up. I know we can try and give you all the answers but you will probably learn alot more if you do a quick google and see what you can find and what you actually like and then ask more questions from there.

I just bought a kribensis of trademe and a person at hollywood fish farm gave me a list including,

bolivian rams

blue rams

agassi

borreli

keyhole cichlids

cupid cichlids

golden rams

and dwarf gouramies.

So which of these fish do you want to put in the tank with the kribensis you purchased. I note it was not on the suggested list from HFF. I don't personally have experience with all the fish on the list you have given but the ones I do know of are pretty peaceful fish. Kribs are not always that peaceful but a single one may be okay. The ones listed also have more general tank requirements and are easier to keep than a lot of cichlids.

bolivian rams are great fish, pretty hardy and very colourful. but with dwarfs you need to check on the territory requirements - some species need a bigger territory than others. most dwarf cichlids like lots of plants rather than rocks.

check out http://www.dwarfcichlid.com as a starting point, then do further research into the species your keen on.

I just bought a kribensis of trademe and a person at hollywood fish farm gave me a list including,

bolivian rams

blue rams

agassi

borreli

keyhole cichlids

cupid cichlids

golden rams

and dwarf gouramis.

Dwarf Gouramis are NOT a cichlid, they are an anabantid.