Got a new camera today!

firefish

Nice pics - I got one of those cameras for my birthday last Sunday however being so technically challenged I am struggling to work out how to get really close up shots. I've read the manual and it makes very little sense :oops:

Any suggestions appreciated or otherwise how to work it in laymans terms would be welcome.

Push the flower button to take close up pics. Can play with the ISO in manual mode to see what each setting does.

I think I'll set up a seperate thread for nice helpful people like you to post suggestions. :D Maybe I am expecting too much but I am pretty sure its me and not the camera! :oops:

how do you get it to focus really close up like in your photos (the insects) or is that just the way they have been cropped.

Push the flower button to take close up pics. Can play with the ISO in manual mode to see what each setting does.

for my macro shots I go to 'P' and then press the left hand part of the circle button (with the macro symbol on) then move it along to macro.

I also read the manual and didn't find it very useful

Macro means close.

yep - using macro and half pressing the shutter. I think perhaps I am just expecting too much. Its not that I can't get a decent shot, its just that I can't get a shot taken close up in focus ie if I was going to take a photo of my computer mouse then I couldn't get it to fill the screen and focus on it. Its still blurry. Am I expecting too much?

yep - using macro and half pressing the shutter. I think perhaps I am just expecting too much. Its not that I can't get a decent shot, its just that I can't get a shot taken close up in focus ie if I was going to take a photo of my computer mouse then I couldn't get it to fill the screen and focus on it. Its still blurry. Am I expecting too much?

First thing is to brace the camera against something to help keep it stable. Try changing it to manual and putting it on Aperature priority and change the aperature(The F number) to somewhere near the top of its range. This will give you a larger depth of focus, which is width of the area that will be in focus. But then, you need a longer shutter time which is why you have to make sure the camera is as stable as possible.

Also, you can usual manual focus if the autofocus is focusing on a different spot than you want or lock the focus by holding the button half down and move the camera back and forth.

Like this picture for example, I had the camera body and lens both resting on the ground to keep it stable:

spidermacro.jpg