Tanklog of a ~400L 1200mm Native Tank - New photos 02/07/12

blueether

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

how do u grow frissidens ?? wat temperature is good for it ?? does it need more light to grow??

Med one:

about 90mm when caught at the same time as Homer

182mm, 90g, condition = 1.49 as of 18 Aug 2012

195mm and 104g, condition = 1.40 on 10 nov 2012

Large one:

about 120-125mm when caught late spring last year

203mm, 122g, condition = 1.46 as of 18 Aug 2012

218mm and 125g, condition = 1.21 on 10 nov 2012

(I think I weighed/measured this wrong as I cant see it loosing that much condition)

208mm and 125g would give a CF of 1.40

CF = W/L^3*100000

where W is in g

L is in mm

how do u grow frissidens ?? wat temperature is good for it ?? does it need more light to grow??

I'm not sure on the legal status of that that species of fissidens as it is one of the rare species - ps not collected by me

There is another smaller fissidens that is quite common in our rivers but it is very slow growing.

I have both fissidens growing in 24-25 deg and at 18 deg in the native tank. It is slightly faster growing at 24 than 18 but not much. all my tanks would be low light ie 18w CFL on a 50L, 24w on 160L and 24w on 430L. As our fissidens are coldwater I doubt that they would do well at real hot trop. temps, but there as people in Aus that have the same species as in the pic growing in tropical temp (not sure how warm).

Remember that the fissidens has taken 2 years to cover just over 1/2 that bit of wood and it just about all died off before it started to grow.

It is very slow growing and not easy to grow. Also note that apple snails love the stuff :(

Remember that the fissidens has taken 2 years to cover just over 1/2 that bit of wood and it just about all died off before it started to grow.

mine looks almost died ..i hope it might grow back ..:P

if you see a lot of it around then it is probably not Fissidens berteroi, but F. rigidulus. F. rigidulus is quite common around and in forested rivers/streams and waterfalls. I've seen a wall and bed about 10m long, 2-3m wide and about 1m above the water line as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Video:

hqdefault.jpg?1411630388269

There are 2 mullet in there, the big silver thing and the much smaller one. Yes that is all fissidens - I must contact MPI or the like and see the legalities of distributing it into the trade.

Two of the kokopu are still there. I had one die over winter, it just got thinner and thinner and was only eating occasionally. One of the other ones decided it would only take live food after a couple of years on pellets, so is now in my parents water lily pond where there should be plenty of live food.

Looks good! :nfs:

Do you have any trouble feeding your mullet? Mine only eat small bits of soft food, they won't eat pellets unless they're soaked, they're favourite food appears to be shrimp. Have yours been similar? If you get the green light on the fissidens I'd love to buy some off you! Well once I have a chiller so the lights don't heat the tank up....

I hope my kokopu don't get all fussy on me, one of mine stopped eating for a week recently, I was getting quite worried... But he (or she) doesn't say no to anything now no matter how much it's already eaten.