Tanklog of a ~400L 1200mm Native Tank - New photos 02/07/12

blueether

On the 19 of Dec Santa dropped off a 1200 * 600 *600 430l tank

5278455354_f76470e3e0.jpg

The plan:

To have a better environment for both my torrent fish and the inanga.

Planed setup is to have a shallow fast flowing area that drops off into a pool

5277738247_baef2f5297.jpg

5277738337_50eaed0a9e.jpg

Have ordered a CF 1200 for filter and will get a power head if needed for extra flow.

Does that layout look OK or does anyone think it needs tweaking?

Now, do I make the shallows out of solid polystyrene, reducing the water volume or have it as quite open under it?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't want to lose that much water volume... maybe a cave underneath somehow?

you could hide the powerheads in the poly maybe? use a smaller piece of poly and pile rocks on top? nice concept, looking forward to seeing it filled!

I had thought of doing a cave and have the powerhead pulling water from there and exiting in the shallows.

As for getting it filled, I need to decorate the front room/office and finish the stand first :-?

yay for geeks! ;)

Hmmm, I would suggest the other way actually. Inanga are midwater fish that prefer less current, torrentfish are bottom-dwellers. You want it slower at the top and faster at the bottom (although the current isn't really necessary as such, but will bring out their behaviours)

If you put the pump outlet low down in the tank, literally just above the substrate, and aimed horizontally it will suit the torrentfish perfectly. The volume of water above that is where the current will dissipate, and create places for inanga to hang out drift feeding.

A big piece of driftwood that works well horizontally could create a small physical buffer between the 'layers' of habitat (and to fill in some of the vertical space).

one of my tanks is 50 high and 45 wide (front to back). I find it a stretch getting my arm to the back-bottom. When your tank is in place check your reach, and make sure anything you might need to access and tweak is actually accessible.

yay for geeks! ;)

Hmmm, I would suggest the other way actually. Inanga are midwater fish that prefer less current, torrentfish are bottom-dwellers. You want it slower at the top and faster at the bottom (although the current isn't really necessary as such, but will bring out their behaviours)

If you put the pump outlet low down in the tank, literally just above the substrate, and aimed horizontally it will suit the torrentfish perfectly. The volume of water above that is where the current will dissipate, and create places for inanga to hang out drift feeding.

My thinking was that it is easier to create a fast flow in a shallow area, then when it goes deeper the current will naturally lessen.

I have just laid a mockup out on the stand and the styrene does take up a lot of room :o

A big piece of driftwood that works well horizontally could create a small physical buffer between the 'layers' of habitat (and to fill in some of the vertical space).

one of my tanks is 50 high and 45 wide (front to back). I find it a stretch getting my arm to the back-bottom. When your tank is in place check your reach, and make sure anything you might need to access and tweak is actually accessible.

I do have a large bit of drift wood that I was planning to use to break up the current and add some vertical interest.

oh, and TANK ENVY!!! :sick: :wink:

Next time you come up SH3, after it is installed, you will have to pop in to have a look then ;)

My thinking was that it is easier to create a fast flow in a shallow area, then when it goes deeper the current will naturally lessen.

Which is very true. The thing is torrentfish are bottom-dwellers, they are not bouyant and struggle to stay up in the water column. The poly would take up most of the tank for this to work. Also the inanga naturally want to be high in the water, you are trying to convince them to go low.

Working with nature is easier than against it :)

Next time you come up SH3, after it is installed, you will have to pop in to have a look then ;)

I will definitely keep that in mind! Always good to meet other natives people :)

Starting to take shape, not there is a cave underneath and will probably add holes where the circles are so that water is drawn up from the cave.

That is on the stand so you can get an idea of the ground layout/area and the card at the back is 600 high so is the same height as the tank.

I have decided to turn the flow from along the back to towards the front (black arrows), this might not show off the fish as well whilst in the current but should create a larger calm area within the tank.

The filter return will be above the black circles for now, but might change to the left front with the flow along the front if/when I get a powerhead to go in the back position.

5281599463_3b944a93dd.jpg

tank layout 2 by nzbeeman, on Flickr

I have now decided to scrap the whole idea as it taking up too much of my time and is proving too difficult to get the terra scaping how I want it and how the fish (read Stella) would like it.

:lol: just my suggestions, which you can take or leave at will.

FS one 432L 4' tank and new cf1200, offers.

aw no, it is such a cool tank! Stick with it, you will get there :)

Tank is now installed with ~220 l of water in it, waiting for it to clear. Might get fish in there tomorrow, can't think of anything that might clash with doing that :happy2:

5287813010_c1972b3ee7.jpg

Oh I put the cf1200 in the 50l tank with the bullies and torrent fish, they all loved the high flow. The bullies dating in and out, almost looking like they wanted to be the one that could swim all the way up the in-flow to the tank, and the torrent fish more or less just kept plonking it's self in the middle of the flow and sitting there :o

• 2 weeks later...

The tank has been setup with nearly 300l for almost 2 weeks now so have decided it must be about time to post a pic of the current setup

5327728213_95c53418aa_z.jpg

Sorry about all the reflections on the glass...

Have a black sand substrate with 2 large bits of driftwood and another 3 smaller bits, I need to get more small rocks for the smaller bullies to hide in.

Did away with the polystyrene idea when I found the large but of drift wood on the left of the tank. Is about 550mm * 700mm * 150mm high, full of holes and dips/bumps and slightly dished.

Current stocking:

~12 smelt

~8 inanga

~8 bullies - common/Cran's

2 red fin bullies

2 koura

Plants:

Unidentified moss

Unidentified grass - arrived with one lot of live food I collected

Lemma

Glossostigma - not doing very well, only a very small plant, not enough light?