my new spiney eel - what is he? NEW PICS added

BikBok

OK, it's not the best photo but here is my fat little baby spiney eel.

At first glance I thought he was a peacock but HFF say they haven't seen ones like this before with both the stripes and spots. They think he is something new yet when I googled I did find peacocks that look like this guy. Anyone recognise the species?

The yellow striped and ringed spots are actually more pronounced than what has shown up int the photo but you get the idea. Could he be a peacock cross?

BikBok-t96-gp8.jpg

thanks for the opinions. Both those look neat but I'm hoping he's more like the peacock than the aral because peacocks are half the size!!

Will be interesting watching him grow and see if his markings intensify. He seems a lot fatter/bulkier in the body than the half banded we had.

thanks reevsta. do you have a photo of yours so I can compare . Where does his stripe start.. at the eye or on the snout?

I keep coming back to "he must be a peacock" but when I saw this guy at HFF I asked them to fish out the peacock eel for me.. and they said.. he isn't a peacock.

I've looked at several sites and some do look like him while others have different striping pattern. One site said there were two types of peacock.. one has stripes and one has spots .. I'm confused. My one only has two spots.. not the usual 4-5 but he does has very definite striping.

Well I've decided to call him a "Striped Peacock Eel" when people ask what he is (which people tend to do)

• 4 weeks later...