Any handy tips on speeding up fry growth rate?

katrina.hughes

Feed them every time you walk past the tank and do a water change on the way back. You need to keep seperating them by size as they grow at different rates and the ones that grow the fastest are often not the best fish but will get most of the food (including the smaller fish when the size difference becomes enough).

Its amazing the size difference between individuals within the same batch

Breeding them is evil. Mine are 4 weeks on Friday and if you look at: http://www.waynesthisandthat.com/bettagrowth.html, which I keep doing, some of mine look like the 4 week picture and some are still at the 3 week size. Which is annoying because it's such a tiny spawn.

Thanks! :D He doesn't look quite as impressive as your avatar. Jealous! But i'm going to try breed him and my other boys in the new year. We've got heaps of little breeding tanks setup but boyfriend and I are off to Gisborne for a week of work which is already driving me mental because we can't put any pairs together until about the 3rd which is so far away!! The next 11 days better go fast. I need to fuel my fighter problem with new spawns NOW! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

As has been already said,excellent water quality is the best.

Fast growth is not always best,or good for fish.We feed our fish on foods which are considerably more nutritious than what they would be getting in their natural habitats.As a result they can suffer from health problems and often don't last as long.I had a great chat last year with Dr Anton Lamboj about this,and he only feeds(adults) about 3 times a week,with great results.

Betta,in particular,are very prone to obesity.