Can this crack be patched?

SamH

Hey guys, I have acquired a second hand 90x40x40cm 6mm aquarium but it has a small crack/smash in one corner:

IMG_7971.jpg

1. Can this be safely fixed by siliconing another panel of glass over top of it?

2. This tank is in 6mm glass without bracing, originally a turtle tank. Safe to fill right up? The FNZAS calc. says this is a safety factor of 3.375 if that helps.

Thanks

-Sam

Yeah easy to patch, I would stick a triangle or square over it, cut all the silcone away first though so it fits nicely into the corner. Another concern with patching cracks is to make sure they are complete so they don't spread when water is put in the tank, yours likes like it has done all it will do so should be fine.

Thanks crew :D

LA, the tank already has two braces (one on the bottom at the front, the other at the back) but there's a whole bunch of bugs and dirt under it, probably from sitting under a house for so long. I guess I should pull them up, clean them and then stick them back down?

If the braces are siliconed down then it is more hassle than it is worth trying to get them off, but (unless the person who made the tank was really slack) you would assume that they didn't make it with bugs and stuff underneath so maybe there is a gap you can work it out.. But yeah I agree with Diver it is probably more work than it is worth when it will be hidden by gravel and the tank is not worth alot to replace.

easy patch to do ,a thin *SHARP* blade will save you frustration, mineral turps to clean off excess silicone/might be worth putting some strong tape on the outside corner to give it abit more strength but probably not necessary...

also stuff i got from the past

120x45x45 10mm for 89$ an the person gave me about 140$ worth of stuff,heaters,filters,ramps,feeders,food , tank ornments ect ect

90x45x45 with light an filter for 100

90x45x38 -50$

70x38x38 -free

60x30x30 -10$

lol all I was meaning is there isn't much point in spending the hours it would take to remove the bracing when it would be covered by gravel and the tank wasn't worth much to justify that amount of time/energy spent on it :) As you have said it was free so I would spend as little time/money on it and get it up and running for a breeding tank. If you need some glass I probably have a few pieces that are the right size already lying around you can have.