Cannibalistic axolotls???

Black Sabbath

Hey there, has anyone heard whether or not it is bad for axolotls to eat there offspring??, I have not noticed any issues but heard from someone that it can cause problems. Also on a similar note has anyone taken a close look at an axolotl ( young golds are easiest ) while it is eating its prey, It has an almost spiraled looking grinder of red liquid in its throat that disintegrates its food. quite cool!! You need them up against the glass and to be looking in from their underneath to see it properly.

Yeah they do love it, thats why I would be concerned to think it was causing long term harm, I often use my slow growing babies to feed to the young adults. Also they love tadpoles but a lot of care needs to be taken to clean the tadpoles as much as possible to avoid disease ( never happened to me but I believe it must be possible )

Somewhere, Haha I will search it today since the weather is so crap.

What else do you feed yours? Ever tried tadpoles?

No. I would but due to the fact frogs in wild are becoming scarcer and I have no tadpoles, I have not. I feed them sinking trout pellets, earthworms (they looove these), slugs and the occassional flying insect/moth that I come across. This seems to work great (and trout pellets are damn cheap)...

There is an abundance of frogs down here, (south island)One place is just mad, I take around 100 tadpoles per year and don't tell anyone about it, Its on my uncles farm and I like to think that they will slowly spread from there, I have done things down there to try and attract different types of food for the frogs and tadpoles and they really are thriving, my axolotls reap the reward of my hard work for about a month of each year, Coming up in around 3 days!! I have heard trout pellets are good and I also try and feed mine worms when i can get hold of some.