Fishsitters?

DeeTee

Hi,

I've been keeping tropical fish for about 2 1/2 years. Slowly getting better at it. Have 100L tank that's a bit overloaded but seems to keep fine with a weekly clean and 30-40% water change. Currently I have a couple of blue gourami, a gold sucker-mouth, a couple of loaches (supposedly yoyo but I'm a bit suspicious they're not?), one corydoras (one died this week :( ), 6 cherry barbs, 6 platies, 2 x 5-stripe barbs, 5 x-ray tetras, 2 emerald eye rasboras, and 3 glowlight tetras. And I have 2 small tanks with a betta and a collection of platies that I accidentally bred.

The problem is that I have to go overseas for a month in the middle of next year and I don't know anyone who could look after the tanks.

Does anyone know of any people or service than cares for tanks in these situations? Or am I just going to have to sell up my collection? :cry::cry: (I live in Auckland)

but I just don't know anyone who shares my hobby and/or that I could trust to do the job!

I too am in this position.

Parents organize this girl to feed fish,rats,frog and everything else in the house.

They do seem to survive (most of the time) but thats just luck I guess.

An Idea for a sticky thread could be people putting down their names to offer experienced fish sitting.

When I go away, I put daily amounts of fish food in pill boxes (from the $2 shop that have separate comartments for each day) for as many days as i'm going to be away. This prevents over feeding. I learnt this from experience, I went away for 1 night, forgot to tell mum to feed the fish & she decided to put a bunch of food in from every container of food I own! There was heaps left in the tank when I got back....

Thanks for the tip. I used little envelopes when I went away for a short time but a pill box would be good. What I am really worried about is having someone to clean the tanks. The big one especially is pretty crowded, and whilst it can go a couple of weeks without a clean - 4 would risk disaster!

Well the offer is there if you need it :) I have 35 tanks in a heated room so can easily find a tank for them and fit them into my weekly water tank regime, I wouldn't charge you anything either, I have been in the situation where I have relied upon other people to look after my fish before so like to pay it forward.

Well the offer is there if you need it :) I have 35 tanks in a heated room so can easily find a tank for them and fit them into my weekly water tank regime, I wouldn't charge you anything either, I have been in the situation where I have relied upon other people to look after my fish before so like to pay it forward.

:hail:

Wow, how do you find time to maintain all that???? Your offer is really appreciated - wish there were more people like you in the world! I wasn't looking forward to having to sell the lot and start again. We haven't set our travel dates yet - but will probably be July 2011. Would just have to work out fish transport logistics though - I have a couple of small 20L tanks that would transport okay if needed - e.g., for the fighter - I guess a series of plastic bags and a box for the rest!! Whereabouts are you exactly?

lol I wouldn't go that far.. I have most of the smaller tanks on an overflow water change system which I turn on a few times a week and overflow them to change the water this takes most the work out of it, the others are mostly big tanks so I just drain and fill them with a hose I can probably change all my tanks water in 1 hour if I was in a hurry and didn't do any other maintenance.

Gee and it takes me an hour to do my one 100L tank if I'm doing a good clean (i.e., vaccuuming gravel, scrubbing ornaments, glass, cleaning filtration system, and bucketing the water in/out in 12L lots 'cos I can't handle heavier. Now if it was the MAN of the house who was the fish-o-phile things would almost certainly be expedited - he's the technician, sadly, I'm not! Lol! :nilly:

I have a syphon/hose but need to discharge it into a bucket as my tanks are not close to the outdoors or a sink - so bucket is needed it to transport it there (and carry fresh water back). Have to be careful where I locate tanks to be clear of a) too much light and b) the other half's hi fi equipment! Its a very sophisticated set-up I know - but short of training the man :roll: or getting a self-mobilising bucket I'm not expecting much to change!!! Lol.