December 9, 201015 yr comment_409338 does it actually HAVE a pectoral fin?! Is the red a raw injury or something under the skin? Report
December 9, 201015 yr Author comment_409350 does it actually HAVE a pectoral fin?! Is the red a raw injury or something under the skin? Good spot. I was wondering how long it would take for someone to see (or not see in this case)the obvious. I'm guessing it is a birth defect along with the red mark, or it was the lucky one that got away from a trout/cray. Got this one last weekend with another 3 to make the bully count upto 6. Unfortunately one of the other new arrivals has got whitespot - just a single spot so far. treating with salt, as per what I read in some random book I found Oh... Dobsonfly don't like salty water - one of them up and died after only half the salt had gone in, at least one has survived though. Report
December 9, 201015 yr comment_409351 So is there even a bump or stub? How well does it swim? Bullies don't do much body movement, more pectoral movement (or maybe it is so fine it is hard to see?) I know a site that is teeming with banded kokopu, eels and koura. The bandeds are often missing fins (or are DENTED!), the eels have bite marks and the koura missing legs. Everyone seems robustly healthy though! Report
December 9, 201015 yr Author comment_409357 No lump/stub, might be a slight dip. It swims well enough but does favor the end of the tank with less current. It uses its pelvic fin a lot and is always on a slight lean in the water and at rest. The pelvic fin on the damaged side is always held a lot more vertical than the other side. Report
December 10, 201015 yr comment_409505 A single white spot usually means dead fish in the future. Do you quarantine your new arrivals? I always do. Bullies from the wild are just about certain to have white spot disease. A bare tank is the best way to quarantine and also treat the dreaded white spots. Report
December 11, 201015 yr Author comment_409679 Will keep an eye on the new arrivals, no they weren't quarantined as I don't have enough kit and I was feeding live invertebrates from the same stream. Report
December 12, 201015 yr comment_409836 Live inverts are unlikely to bring in much by the way of diseases. Most fish diseases are either opportunistic things are are in the water all the time and only can infect when a fish is immunologically vulnerable. inverts are often carriers for parasites, but given that in the wild the fish would be eating these inverts every day of their lives, parasites are rarely problematic. It is much much easier to quarantine all new arrivals than risk all your fish with an outbreak. Hopefully since you saw that spot early and are treating then there won't be too much risk this time. Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.