algae problems

burrowssj

Well I have 3 tanks running atm they all get around 30% weekly changed sometimes a full cleanout at the same time

anyways the heavily planted tank with kribensis in it has got hairy green algae in it an all over the top of the tall plants and on the heater. I put some plecos in there but they didn't go near it

How do I get rid of this stuff? its not in any of my other tanks just seems to be thriving in the krib tank >.<

im going to clean it up today a good re arrange an scrape an will add a 2nd filter for more flow at the same time...

its a 80L tank with 8 growing kribensis in it

I don't use any ferts

lighting is on a timer 8hours a day an its sitting next to my baby raising tank which has no algae at all :/

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 010511.jpg

im going to clean it up today a good re arrange an scrape an will add a 2nd filter for more flow at the same time...

its a 80L tank with 8 growing kribensis in it

I don't use any ferts

lighting is on a timer 8hours a day an its sitting next to my baby raising tank which has no algae at all :/

http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa3 ... 010511.jpg

Cut the photoperiod down to 6 a day and daily dose with the recommended amount of Flourish excel.

Increase your plant mass if you can and start fert dosing

like that pic is it a Siamese algae eater?

will look into flourish excel am going to pet shop soon

what is fert dosing? just giving it daily ferts?

For your tank, comprehensive should be fine, your plants will grow faster and algae should be easier to control.

Does your tank get any sunlight? Sometimes that can cause the green algae on your glass.....

There are quite a few algae guides available on the web, plenty of really good advice around :wink:

Cut the photoperiod down to 6 a day and daily dose with the recommended amount of Flourish excel.

Increase your plant mass if you can and start fert dosing

Excellent advice, I couldn't agree more. :hail:

If you have more than one tube there, you might consider dosing the ferts every other day (e.g. Flourish comprehensive plus extra nitrates). As FDB said above, daily dosing with Excel to keep stable CO2 levels. Water change once weekly, about 25-40%.

If you aren't into all that, then cut your photoperiod right down to 3-4 hours a day and go low tech by dosing once weekly and doing a fortnightly water change. The plants will still be healthy, but will grow much slower.