Otocinclus in my tank

mcrudd

I was reading all the new posts as I usually do just before bedtime and this little guys name came up. When I don't know a fish I always google image it, I quite liked the look of it and then googled it and found that its a cute little fishy, that does not get bigger than 5cm or some species even 2.5cm. Is it true? Do I have the right fishy here. If so please let me know if it will be compatable with my tank and how many I should get, cause they are super cute.

I currently have 4 bristlenoses, 2 adults and 2 juveniles. 2 chocolate zebras, 3 cherriebarbs (3 died) 5 Harlequins and 3 biggish glass catfish. I was hoping to get 12 more Harlequins and 3 more glass catfish in the future as well. I have a blue planet vista tank as stated in my siggy :wink:

yep they are tiny fish - and quite pricey

Will they be compatable with my tank, I read that they can be bought either single or preferabbly 3 since they do like to socialize. How many would you suggest and How much do they cost? Thanks for being up this time of night :lol:

Would be fine in your setup, can't remember how much they cost, but I would personally get as much as I can afford :D

Love those guys, very active and awesome at eating algae.

Note that they do need to be acclimatised properly though or you risk losing them.

Once they're established, I'd say they're one of the toughest fish I've had :D

i think they would be ok in your tank - the only one im not sure of would be the cherrie barbs - are they agro like tiger barbs or calm and quiet ?

last time i saw ottos them in the shops they were $15 each - it just seem like a lot for such a small fish but on the grand scheme of things probably no more expensive than most fish ;)

dreams thanks for the heads up about acclimatising them :wink:

Skippy my three cherrie barbs are very tame and friendly, they used to be a bit nippy when I had the school of six, but only to a longfin zebra danio. Now they don't even school anymore, I don't want to get more of them, will just let these three die off. Not so fond of them, I love peaceful fishies. My harlequins are super great tankmates. I was just worried about terrority with bn's and chocolate zebras. They are peacefully living together now, so do Otto's not have bottom terrority or do they swim about a lot?

Thanks both of you for your advice :wink:

dreams thanks for the heads up about acclimatising them :wink:

Skippy my three cherrie barbs are very tame and friendly, they used to be a bit nippy when I had the school of six, but only to a longfin zebra danio. Now they don't even school anymore, I don't want to get more of them, will just let these three die off. Not so fond of them, I love peaceful fishies. My harlequins are super great tankmates. I was just worried about terrority with bn's and chocolate zebras. They are peacefully living together now, so do Otto's not have bottom terrority or do they swim about a lot?

Thanks both of you for your advice :wink:

from what i have seen they live all over the place and dont really have a territory like the BN and Zebras

They are a bit pricey but worth it, extremely cool fish. They don't seem to have a downside at all apart from being a little temperamental when you first get them.

Thanks Bilbo, I am making my hubby a nice cup of hot milo as we speak LOL, start buttering him up :wink:

Will they be compatable with my tank, I read that they can be bought either single or preferabbly 3 since they do like to socialize. How many would you suggest and How much do they cost? Thanks for being up this time of night :lol:

I have three little otos in my tank. They are very cute and swim around together.

HFF have some wildcaught ones at the moment. (they don't breed very often in captivity) I brought two of them , they need a good length climatisation but then they should be fine in an established tank.

So.. if you're going to get some for Christmas.. leave a panel of glass to grow some algae so they get a good feed, or leave a rock in a bucket of water outside to get a good growth :-)

Mine will graze on zuchhini and alagae wafers but prefer real algae as most of them do. They're good at keeping the leaves clean.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I would add to this thread as to not start another one again. Just a question, I got my little ottos they are the cutest I have ever seen, such sweeties. I got six and now I have 15 harlequins (got ten more babies) and I have 3 glass cats (wanted 3 more but was advised to not get them as those ones at hollywoods were brackish and my tank has no salt in it) so I got 8 rummynoses instead, interesting little guys, so I wanted to get 8 more so the school is bigger, so here comes the question. Is my tank big enough for 8 more rummynoses. Ooh ooh and maybe 6 more otto's?

Have a 160 litre blue plantet Vista

in it is the following

4 bristelnoses

2 chocolate zebras pleco

15 harlequin

8 rummynose

3 cherriebarb

3 glass catfish