Urgent Question about Leo's

emaytiti

It would be fair to assume that all the animals that came form down this way were related at some point

That is why when all this kicked off a few yeasr ago it was important to keep records of the dam line

And there does seem to be 2 colour morphs ( loose terminology) with yellow and non yellow animals about.

So maybe the different dam lines acounts for this....the re breeder may see these posts and comment maybe

lots of maybes I know....lol

There has been some sold normally and others as high yellow. I have not seen them all but the high yellows might as easily be called low blacks as the yellow seems the same but they have less areas of black when young and this may mean less black dots when older. I understand that higher incubating temperatures can result in less black as well and that Maf may be interested in where the hi yellows came from. The ones I have seen I would describe as low black and certainly show no resemblance to the ones you can see on the internet which could be described as really high yellow.

Yes the incubation temperature can influence colour. The fact that there are some that are more "yellow" than others does not mean that new leo's were brought in. That's is exactly what line breeding is all about. Due to the fact that all the leo's in NZ are related you might as well say that anyone who has bred them has been line breeding! Out of this there are bound to be individuals hatched with better colouring. MAF needs to study the genetics of leo's so that they understand that leo's that are more high yellow does not mean anything suspect is going on. It's simply a natural progression......