planting balansae

JazzyJeff

I managed to get some very nice balansae plants from Alanmin - these plants have LOADS of roots and beautiful long leaves. What is the best way to plant these? Do I just shove them in and cross my fingers... or do I need to trim roots/leaves first?

I am also planting some other crypts also, I have been reading in lots of places about crypts melting shortly after planting, Is there anything I can be doing to prevent this?

I am planting wendtii, petchii, undulata, parvifloris tropica also - any advice greatfully accepted.

Thanks

JJ

Parviflorus tropica is an Echinodorus, will grow slowly and stay relatively small. The crypts I would just plant as is. There were some small pups on the balansae which should produce shortly.

Thanks Alan - I was hoping I didn't need to cut all the leaves off (that wld be such a shame!) I am going to have a play with it tomorrow - think I need more plants yet tho - would like to produce something like this...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=49214

I've kept balansae before on a high iron clay sub-base with gravel topping and they grew like wildfire. The definately don't like the transplant and the long leaves get mushy and tranclucent but be patient. You only need a few long leaves to come out and it looks very dramatic.