Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

NEW Whiptails

Featured Replies

I came back from south island today and brought a new pair of whiptails from the tirau fish shop just windering the species name of these guys heres a pic from another website but did not have species name and planet catfish dont have either any body know what they are

atl_123-6.gif

  • Author

i just found them there common name is banded whiptail and scientific name is Rineloricaria microlepidogaster there real cool and my male has a massive beard and looke really cool

From the plate forms(scales) on the belly I would think R microlepidogasta is close, tho we don't have the scale patterns for all the whip species.

Looks very much like what I had, imported as R microlepidogasta.....

As for what the "crocodile" whips are ????....I have no idea.

Alan.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

ive looked at parvas but its not them but very similar heaps of people get confused and btw my pair have just spawned so hopfully ill have 200 babies soon

thanx

Good luck on raising the fry Kyle. My whiptails breed all the time but I have trouble raising the fry. Hope you do better then me :o

Any one got ideas?

What have you been doing to raise the fry Tropheus? (ie - what have you been feeding them, how much, how often, have you been leaving them in the main tank or putting them in a breeding trap etc).

What sort of Whiptails have you been breeding? BTW, Congratulatios :D.

Cheers, CatBrat

ive looked at parvas but its not them but very similar heaps of people get confused and btw my pair have just spawned so hopfully ill have 200 babies soon

thanx

Oh goody you're in Grey Lynn (I grew up in Wellpark Ave) - if you manage to raise a fair few could I put in an order for a couple please? It doesn't matter what sex.

  • Author

Yes Dawn wellpark is very close to me im on old mill rd.Ye mike when i saw your place you were raising quite a few and it looked like it was very succsesful bith of your species.Yes Dawn I wil be selling some if I raise them properly and get like a 150 out of the 200

cheers

Hi Catbrat.

Once the fry hatch i collect what i can and place them into a smaller tank. The tank contains water and one sponge filter from the main tank, so i cant see that been the problem.

Fry are feed twice a day with crumbled flake and every secound day with micro worms.

I change 10-20% water every secound day. Fry last about a week or two then start dying off. Very frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do the same with my Twigs. Never have any problems with them.

Hey Tropheus,

Have you tried raising them in a floating breeding trap in the parents tank? That way they would have food right there in front of them the whole time, but they would still have the water volume of the parents tank and therefore there would be less risk of polluting the water. Just a thought.

Cheers, CatBrat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.