Black sand

piggyvir

I am going to upgrade my freshwater tank and I am just wondering whether it worths the extra dollars (well a lot of $$$$) to get Seachem Black sand? Or will the normal fine black sand do job?

Alternatively, should I get half normal black sand and top with Seachem Black sand?

Thanks !

The key with plants is patience. (which I don't have) :oops:

Once you have a carpet, its hard to go wrong.

Remember, a large factor in why those tanks looks so good, is that the scapers either have a photography side hobby - Or they hire a pro.

If you look at their tanks without pro lighting and at different angles, they look much different.

Apart from Co2, there is no real obstacle in the way of stopping you!

I am going to upgrade my freshwater tank and I am just wondering whether it worths the extra dollars (well a lot of $$$$) to get Seachem Black sand? Or will the normal fine black sand do job?

Alternatively, should I get half normal black sand and top with Seachem Black sand?

Thanks !

I've actually been thinking about the same thing, I'm definitely going to use some amount of black sand flourite, but I can't decide if I will mix it with any other substrate. My tank is 860x500mm for the base, take about 15mm off of that for my custom background but it's still quite an expensive amount if I attempt to go full flourite. Especially when I want at least 25mm depth at the front and possibly 50mm or more at the back.

Main problem is that I just haven't come across any other black sand in Auckland. The closest I have seen is the fine midnight gravel from HFF, but it looks a little coarser and slightly lighter than the flourite from what I can tell. I think I'd need a sample of both to compare. I already got 2 bags of the seachem sand, guess I'll try get my hands on some HFF gravel too. Hopefully they'd be similar enough to be mixed together.

I decided on the Flourite is because I am looking for something that won't really leech nutrients into the water and does not need to be replaced or changed for a very long time. I'm not after a intense and densely planted tank, but I know that the plants I want to keep can be quite demanding. Using inert gravel would mean additional root ferts or clay balls, which can leech into water if plants get pulled up, and over time may work out to cost more than the flourite. I often pull up and move my plants, especially with the twisted val, as they often send out runners that quickly grow huge masses of roots so Flourite is probably the best option for me.

I do have one question though, does any one know if flourite black sand is okay for catfish barbels? What about the HFF Midnight gravel? As I'd most likely end up mixing the 2.

Just do the water changes, regulators. Skip the water tests :) and it is fun.

I find the flourite black sand and onyx sand is fine for catfish barbels, I've got 6 happy pygmy cories with intact barbels in mine.

Only thing is that khuli's cant burrow into it like normal gravel.

• 3 weeks later...

Put the gravel into a bucket and stick a hose into it, turn the water on and leave it till the water in the bucket is clear.

Don't turn the water up so high that it washes away large particles though, you just want to get rid of the dust.

Could be good to wash it over a garden patch, save some of those expensive nutrients :)

Definitely don't wash it in a sink though, the dust/sand will get stuck in the piping.