heater for large volume of water?

Jaxxnz

i have had great success with jager heaters, for a 1000L i would recommend a 300W plus another 200W as a assistant heater. The 300W is rated for up to 1000L but i would say that would be ok if in a warm room. the other consideration is the 300W heater is a little over 50cm long so if that is not going to be suitable then maybe a couple of 250W or similar.

i have had great success with jager heaters, for a 1000L i would recommend a 300W plus another 200W as a assistant heater. The 300W is rated for up to 1000L but i would say that would be ok if in a warm room. the other consideration is the 300W heater is a little over 50cm long so if that is not going to be suitable then maybe a couple of 250W or similar.

I had 2x300w in the tank at the moment, i didnt knw the recommend wattage so when and grab 500w heater..so i over kill the dam thing? :roll:

If you tell me the following I can use my heat loss calculator to calculate the max wattage you will need at the coldest time of year:

1. Dims of tank

2. Which sides and how thick is covered with polystyrene.

3. The temperature you want the tank at and the coldest the room its in will get over the winter

If you tell me the following I can use my heat loss calculator to calculate the max wattage you will need at the coldest time of year:

1. Dims of tank

2. Which sides and how thick is covered with polystyrene.

3. The temperature you want the tank at and the coldest the room its in will get over the winter

1.8x.9x.8 laminated glass tank, is sitting on a 25mm HDpoly, temp 27-28 all yaer around,

Thank Hovmoller

Ok so the calculation is based on the following: (coldest time of year)

Tank temp: 28

Room temp: 10

Bottom 25mm poly, all other sides uninsulated.

At this scenario you will need a minimum of 740 watt total to keep the tank temperature stable..

Of course this is worst case scenario so if I were you I would keep the 500w in there and maybe put an extra 300w in during winter.

Ok so the calculation is based on the following: (coldest time of year)

Tank temp: 28

Room temp: 10

Bottom 25mm poly, all other sides uninsulated.

At this scenario you will need a minimum of 740 watt total to keep the tank temperature stable..

Of course this is worst case scenario so if I were you I would keep the 500w in there and maybe put an extra 300w in during winter.

Any chance you could do mine?

tank is 1530 x 760 x 630 (I think)

50mm poly base and 25mm poly on 3 sides. under the house so could reach 0 degrees in winter. tank temp of 25.

Any chance you could do mine?

tank is 1530 x 760 x 630 (I think)

50mm poly base and 25mm poly on 3 sides. under the house so could reach 0 degrees in winter. tank temp of 25.

Sure..

In that case you will need minimum 385 Watt heating...

If we assume there will also be a layer of plywood or similar under the tank and that you will have a layer of sand/gravel inside then you are only saving 12w by using 50mm instead of 25mm under the tank.. and that is only at the very extreme part of the year.. I would put the tank on 25mm only unless you already have some 50mm lying around. If you do then the 50mm is better used on the back or sides of the tank.

Here is a link to the calculator: (It's pretty straight forward to fill in but you need MS excel)

http://www.fnzas.org.nz/uploads/media/Aquarium%20Heatloss%20Calculator.xls

Hey Jaxxnz..

No excuse for not insulating the back of the tank :wink:

If you put 25mm poly on the back you could save $30/month during winter!! :D

$30 really? hey that would be good, I get my from Styrobeck, Mitre 10 are ripp off :lol:

Iam only half way doing my tank, i was planning to have a background like David R poly with coated concrete.

Its now more than a 2week my tank still only half way filled.. :lol:

Right now iam soo screw up with my sump tank! :(