bottom of the tank stuff

amethyst

Sorry, couldn't think of a better title...

So, we've always used gravel at the bottom of the tank cause that's all we knew, I picked up a trademe purchase from someone's home and their tank had dirt, sand and gravel in the bottom. I'd never seen anything like it but it looked so much nicer than just gravel, and the plants were doing really well (given there was a co2 thingie going, scuse my technical terms here :lol: ).

So, for someone that had never seen that before to now be seriously considering it what do I need to know? What was the "dirt" cause I'm guessing it wasn't potting mix :lol: . Could I put a layer of something like you plant pond plants in, then sandpit sand, then fine gravel over the top? Would that work and not cloud the water??

Many thanks!

Chances are it was either propagating sand or something like aquabasis which is a fertiliser enriched soil/clay substance designed for the bottom of tanks. Basically you put a lower layer of this in then cover with sand/gravel substrate and then plant your plants. When the roots set in they use the ferts from the lower layer and it allows the plants to grow better/faster etc. It's fairly common practise in planted tanks these days.

some people place a thin layer of aquatic mix or some other fertiliser on the bottom of the tank covered by a cm or two of propigating sand then 2-3 cm of fine gravel.

this set up is for a planted tank and you need to make sure you have your planting reasonably well planned as this makes things go a whole lot smoother than shifting stuff around later.

The plants grow well with the right light in this environment and some people then go on to add Co2 and ferts to the water.

The trick with a set up like thisis not to Vax the bottom of the tank as you will suck all the good stuff out of the gravel

HTH

nav

get the propagating sand from the same place as the aquatic mix.

you need to have a layer on top of the aquatic mix otherwise you will end up with muddy water.

and yes you can use sandpit sand, ive seen builders sand used as the substraite in a tank