The Future of the hobby in NZ?

David R

Can you PM/email me a copy, I will be interested to see the level of detail and references etc necessary, see how much modification the two I'd done will need to fit the new form.

No prob mate all currently on the actual form with all relevant paper work at the moment ill try to convert it to a word doc, just pm me your email :wink:

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't answer my question about the cost. When

There are two application pathways and which may be applied depends on the biological characteristics of the fish species.

A summary of the two pathways can be found here: http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/no/applications/release.html

Please have a look at the information and the biological characteristics of the fish species you are seeking approval for release. If any of the species are likely to establish self-sustaining populations in the wild and these will be difficult to eradicate, displace any native species within its natural habitat or breed with any native species, it cannot go down the rapid assessment pathway. In addition, any fish considered for release must pass the minimum standards.

I have listed the information for each application type. Please contact me if you have further questions.

FYI:

Rapid assessment for release:

If the biological characteristics are appropriate and there is sufficient information, we may be able to do a rapid assessment of the risks. But to do so, the fish species:

· must not be able to establish a self-sustaining population in the field (taking into account ease of eradication);

· must not be capable of displacing any native species within its natural habitat; or

· must not be able to breed with any native species.

In addition, the fish species must be able to pass the minimum standards set out in our legislation which requires the decision maker to decline an application if the new organism is likely to-

(a) cause any significant displacement of any native species within its natural habitat; or

(b) cause any significant deterioration of natural habitats; or

© cause any significant adverse effects on human health and safety; or

(d) cause any significant adverse effect to New Zealand's inherent genetic diversity; or

(e) cause disease, be parasitic, or become a vector for human, animal, or plant disease, unless the purpose of that importation or release is to import or release an organism to cause disease, be a parasite, or a vector for disease.

Full release (this application type is notified:

If it looks like the release of fish species cannot go down the rapid assessment pathway, there is a full release application you may want to consider but this requires a substantial amount of information. In addition to characteristics of the fish, you will need to provide information on the potential effects of the fish species on the environment, human health, society, Maori culture and traditions and the market economy. We will need information on the ability of the species to form a self-sustaining population and the potential eradication of such a population. In addition, the fish species must be able to pass the minimum standards.

If you decide to proceed with an application we can guide you through the process from start to finish.

Costs and time frame:

Rapid assessment to release new organism - $575.00 (10 working days)

Notified (full release) - $17,250.00 plus disbursements (100 working days)

Consultation:

Release applications will normally involve some level of Maori Consultation. If you are interested in finding out more about this, please let me know and I will put you in touch with someone from our Maori unit.

Public notification for full release applications:

Full release applications are publicly notified and the public can make submissions on the application.

Links to the application form:

Rapid assessment application form: http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/resources/pub ... 2010.05.06).doc

Full release application form:

http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/resources/pub ... 2010.05.06).doc

Then

We would need information on the biology, ecology and behaviour of each fish species to be able to show that the species cannot form a self-sustaining population anywhere in New Zealand.

It will be difficult to go down the rapid assessment pathway unless you can provide sufficient information to show it is highly improbable that the fish species could form a self-sustaining population anywhere in New Zealand, taking into account the ease of eradication.

So far, ERMA New Zealand has only approved a few plant species using this pathway – where there is published scientific information. If you have such information for the fish species – please provide it so that we can assess whether there is sufficient information

So it is $575 for rapid.

You can add a number of species for that price..

But i think we should try one marine fish and one freshwater first, just to make sure we are on the right track.

There will be so much work involved so best to have a trial run.

1 done 1 in the process atm, reef where would you like these sent?

email me, would be appreciated.

I have done a few submissions, i got about 20 corals approved,

Logic will tell you that tropical corals can not live in NZ, however some of the guys at ERMA tried to say otherwise, but still got it approved.

Had to do loads of work.

I think this time MAF is not a issue as they have a flow chart that should speed up the process if the genus is already allowed, the problem is ERMA and even if ERMA approve it can take MAF years to update the list as they only do it once a year.

However if we get a few species approved we can push them to do it.

What I would like to know is what level of detail the info needs to be? also how does MAF decide if its credible?

If you find book with the info and say articles etc, will all help, some internet sites are ok like fishbase,

However i found even fish base can be wrong.

When i get time hopefully next week will look to get a group of us to start to get the process going to add fish,

I have quite a few emails, so just email me if you will be able to help.

Will look to get a template together.

• 3 weeks later...