Pleco Suggestions -

henward

Looking at a cleaner for my jar tank.

Want a pleco that inevitably will get large.

Growth medium to fast.

i didnt wanta n ormal plec as they are too boring haha

but something nice patterns, gets big, looks nice that would eat debris of pellets and stuff, as well as some algae on the glass.

Any suggestions.

i already have a albino sailfin, love it

but normal sailfins are boring! though they are hardiest, grow fastest and cheapest.

i like the gold nugget - but want something that really scavenges like the sailfin. i find they eat what ever when ever and grow fast lol

royal plecs need wood and dont eat much fish food scraps.

scarlet woud look nice, loved them - but hff doesnt have one, i dont buy it until i can see it.

wtih plecs with they come in, there are different names!

Looking at a cleaner for my jar tank.

A gravel syphon :wink: :lol:

I know of no plec that will clean a tank, will create more waste then it would remove.

Most of the colourful loricariidae are not algae grazers and would require there own food source (that could not be substituted by scraps) :lol:

My sailfin eats everything.

as for poop,thats ok. poop turning into dirt is better than food uneated rotting.

poop turning into dirt quickly becomes just that... dirt and soil.

food rotten has a far more slow process of polution.

I am moving my large sailfin albino wtih jar, heavily armoured and robust. Chilled pleco.

I am gonna move my Royal panaque into the clown loach black aro tank, plenty of wood and hope it chews on some black algae lol

and was thinking of getting one or a couple more panaques and pleco.

so far im gonna have a royal panaque, cactus L114, maybe 1 or two more panaques in that tank. would look nice having many bottom dwellers.

in the RTG tank, i have a small seemingly stunted common plec i got given wtih a set up i bought a while back, aint growin.

might keep that there.

if i get a large pleco - im talking 30cm plus common sailfin - do you think it will fight with my TT eel and Ornate and push them out of the log/tunnel theyare in?

it would be cool to have a large pleco in that tank

if i get a large pleco - im talking 30cm plus common sailfin - do you think it will fight with my TT eel and Ornate and push them out of the log/tunnel theyare in?

it would be cool to have a large pleco in that tank

Almost definitely, theres not much that can stop a large plec doing what it wants.

My sailfin eats everything.

as for poop,thats ok. poop turning into dirt is better than food uneated rotting.

poop turning into dirt quickly becomes just that... dirt and soil.

food rotten has a far more slow process of polution.

Iv never known a large plec to be a good scavenger you would almost definitely have more luck using some of your larger clowns. More to the fact L114, L25 are very much protein based and would find a food source of scraps insufficient.

A large plec probably wouldn't scavenge for such minute particles of food and even if it did would simply make more of the matter smaller then consumed, leading to a faster break down anyway. Large silver dollars even though not a bottom dweller will remain too large for your fish to eat, remain sub-dominant in the feeding chain and swiftly consume any food the Saratoga leaves to fall.

HTH

putting spotted with jar as a long term plan.

the L114, they would eat proten based food?

i found that my pleco would come out to feed on what ever everyone else is eating - the clowns never eat so fast that food is gone in an instant, would this be ok for the pleco. or wold the pleco be too slow and just die?

I have a goldspot and a redspot. I like the reversed patterns.:)

tbh I've only owned standard plecos but they are nice fish. I would have got goldspot but these are what I have now an I won't risk selling them to a bad home for the sakes of a colour bonus :P ive got 4 and thats enough to keep all my tanks perfectly clean

video idea-someone should get an empty tank covered with alge except 1 wall an film 1 bristle nose go at it in high speed nonstop until its clean :D

video idea-someone should get an empty tank covered with alge except 1 wall an film 1 bristle nose go at it in high speed nonstop until its clean :D

A single bristlenose hiding behind the filter intake not moving in high speed for a couple weeks, I can't think of anything more exciting.:P