Seriously large bristlenose in with some Jewel Cichlids?

tukituki

3. you bear in mind that jewels get very very nasty when it comes for time to breed.

:D HTH

Which, in my experience, they are very enthusiastic about. The handful I had resulted in something like 10 pairs...And they were ALL FEMALE. Guess they're very open minded.

Thanks everyone. The tank is our largest of 3 and is about 150L. We just swapped 2 tanks around as we never expected our newly arrived jewels to be so big, and also never expected the bristlenose we got with new (2nd hand) tank to be so big either. The jewels needed the biggest tank. Plenty of hiding spots. Big bn is a lovely fish but dwarfs our other adult bristlenoses, I'd get him out if the jewels breed. 2 female jewels will pair off? My jewels are pretty placid so far, and 2 7-8cm bn that we accidently left during the swap survived the night with the cichlids but literally jumped into the net when i moved them this morning! picture of what rabbit?

i did take photos of him but they look awful. i have never been good at taking photos of fish. dogs and cats and humans fine, fish impossible for me! i'm not sure if all the male bristlenose we've had before are all really small, but this fish is really big, double the size of a normal 3-4year old male. he's cool though. we still can't quite decide whether or not to put him with the cichlids. we don't want him to get hurt but its a bit of a squeeze in the slightly smaller tank now we've done the swap. plus our male bn we've had for years successfully breeds in the tank this big boy is now in. he is bigger than the cichlids, but they, like many others have said, are like bulldogs!

I have been wondering but he has the full on bristles, do plecos have them? His bristles do look a little different to our other gba & brown bn males though. I'll try and take a photo later today, i'll take him out of the tank for a few seconds to do it!

Here is a photo I didn't realise I had! My other half must have taken this as we were doing the tank swap the other day. You can see the big guy to the left, and an adult male gba just below him, as well as adult female that is about 3-4years old to the right (there are 2 this age in the bucket). Is he a pleco or a seriously big bristlenose?!

PA280186a.jpg

thats a pretty big looking bristlenose to me! how old is he?

He's big, but he's not freakishly big. I have two that look roughly that size right now. Good conditions and good feeding from birth most should be that kind of size in 3-4 years. Many get stunted, I think.