Yahoo

Dougstark

• 5 weeks later...

Just a shame that the incubator I have been trying to get has never eventuated. Have been told it was a better brand than the reptile one on trademe, I am now told that it may be available early in the new year, so the reeves eggs have had to be floated in a tank, so that the leopard gecko eggs can go in the old hovabator. Sigh.

What temperature are you incubating each at and will that hopefully give you male or female? Could you have put both in the one incubator?

90 degrees F In the hope of producing males. Too warm for the Reeves eggs.

Hovobator ok but not as accurate with temperature and humidity. And the difficulty others have had at breeding males, I was wanting something more accurate. I am also new at incubating eggs. Last time (first atempt) had no luck with a Reeves egg. And as I now have a range of reptiles I thought I could justify something more hi-tech, and I will need 1 or 2 more incubators. :roll:

could get a decent thermostat, convert fridge, add fan and ya set for many a clutch :D

or cooling thermostat, + heating thermostat, reasonable fridge (glass doors looks the part), wire up thermostats, maybe add fan. hey presto bigger better version of those cooling incubators on the market :P

otherwise homobators are ok. probably make something similar easy enough, aint much to em

humidy in containers is important, not so much in the incubator (depending on your method slightly i suppose)

grats on the eggs

Definitely. I have taken photos of each of the lizards, and should be able to identify by markings. I plan to get in touch with tbe breeders I got them from and see if they can add to the family tree. I could colony breed (keep male and females all together to make life easier but then I would not be able to identify which is the mother.

could get a decent thermostat, convert fridge, add fan and ya set for many a clutch :D

or cooling thermostat, + heating thermostat, reasonable fridge (glass doors looks the part), wire up thermostats, maybe add fan. hey presto bigger better version of those cooling incubators on the market :P

otherwise homobators are ok. probably make something similar easy enough, aint much to em

humidy in containers is important, not so much in the incubator (depending on your method slightly i suppose)

grats on the eggs

Not sure about homobators would prefer my lizards to come out heteros

Hey Doug. It's not impossible to keep track of the mother when breeding in a colony if you keep a close eye on them. First of all you will notice which one is digging and secondly you can see the eggs through the belly. If you check their bellies frequently you will know which ones are gravid and if you do miss the digging and laying you can check the bellies to see who's eggs are gone. Also the gravid female that is close to laying will stop eating in most cases. They also tend to shed before laying. Hope that helps :D