Gap7 as Substrate

DiverJohn

In the process on setting up a small 2 footer for growing mainly plants with a school of something small (maybe 15 fish like harliquins) to add a bit of interest and create fertilizer. I have two buckets of of pebbles but they are quite large and predominantly light browns and white. I prefer a much darker substrate. Yesterday I was Mitre 10 and the guy gave me a handfull of "gap 7" paving substrate.

When its wet this stuff looks fantastic - almost black! It is however quite "sharp" not nicely rounded like "proper " aquarium gravel. but at $5 (i think) for a BIG bag - 20 kilos? It surley worth considering.

I left some in a basin overnight and the ph is slightly lower than the tap water i put in ( 7.8 from the tap, 7.2 now) GH is the same.

comments or suggestions on this or other alternative substrates... For plants should I got even finer, sand?

John.

If you want a dark substrate.. then go to Firths on Tamiki Drive.

Look among their gravels and such and you will find all the dark gravels you want.

I use "Number six".. which is around 3mm diam and after several years of use have found no probs.

Costs $32 bux a ton up here, but a sackful should cost you very little.

Bill.

If your wanting to do a planted tank, IMHO you are better off making the bottom 1-2 inches of substrate right for the plants rather than for looks then just adding a layer (1/4-1/2 inch) on top for looks. For my substrate I use 50/50 gravel mixed with aquadic clay (purchased from a plant shop, used for lillies), and a few handfuls of peat. Doing this puts the nutirants etc in the substrate, rather than the water column where algae can access it, it will leach out for a few months but make for a far better setup.