Flow in a 2.0m tank

smidey

i have a new 2.0x0.45x0.45 tank which i am yet to fill, i will be running two canisters on it having one at either end. i have put a spray bar in one to make sure my design worked how i intended it to which it does, the spray bar will be fitted on the back panel sending the flow toward the front panel. with both fitted there is a gap in the centre with no direct flow of around a metre.

do you think enough flow through the centre will be created? at this stage the heater will be in the centre, what have you done in your tanks with regard to flow?

IMG_4082.jpg

IMG_4100.jpg

In my bigger tank I have each filter crossing over (the inlet of one is at the same end as the outlet of the other) so the water gets moved end to end. I don't know if it makes any difference but it seemed like a good idea at the time and the tank is working well.

Should be fine. You're not going to have a smooth flow directly from the spraybars to the intakes no matter what you do. It will big turbulent swirls all over the place. Might be a little calmer in the middle, but I doubt without putting something in the water to track it that you'd notice.

What I've done with my tank is put about 4000lph of powerheads pointing from one end of the tank to the other. I think it probably keeps the tank stirred up reasonably well...

why not place both outlets at one end and both inlets at the other? like a stream tank

not the effect i am after & i am not sure how the spray bars could be set up to acheive that.

i guess i'll just wait to see how it goes when full, may add a wave maker or similar if required.

In my 6 x 2 x2 my spray bar comes in at one end and runs the length of the tank at the bottom.

this is behind and under my rock work and it pushes water slightly up and towards the front

I have anti syphon measures in place as I am running of a sump but not needed if you use canister.

I find that the gravel at the front gets the most detritus forming but that is where I want it so I can easily remove it

And as the water is movingup and torwards the overflows this is minimal anyway

If you heater is going in teh middle then you can put this lower in teh tank and you will also have more movement over teh heater making it more effective?

Nav

thanks Nav, as usual an interesting take on the situation. as spoon suggested a full length spraybar with a canister plumbed in either end, combined with your idea of having it at the bottom seems like a good idea to me. if i drill the holes spread over the length that should create an even flow across the length, perhaps i will block it in the centre so one canister doesn't over run the other.