discus getting jiggy with it :)

oO SKIPPY Oo

1 week to the day my discus have gotten jiggy with it again :) it looks like some of the other fish managed to get in and eat some of the eggs but now I've separated the parents and the rest of the fish in the community tank. i noticed that one of the fish is probably fanning the eggs and nudging the other one away - is it normal ? and which one would be the female going by this behavior.

cheers

skip

• 2 weeks later...

yippppeee 4 weeks running my discus have been laying eggs, but they keep eating them bugger it, i took some pics tonight so hopefully someone can ID the female and male ?

this is a link to a large image so those on dialup dont click it :) it kinda shows the ovi thingies but the fish on the right appears to have a longer one than the other fish.

http://203.97.252.11/fnzas/discus_pair.jpg

here is a small version of the above image.

discus_pair%20-%20copy.jpg

Pretty!

Very, very cool fish!

thanks P44 - they are awesome fish - so happy i got these 2

Since they're spawning so often, it should be easy to sex them. Female should be fatter and I'm pretty sure the vent is longer on the female.

ok so it looks like the one on the right is the girl as it appears to have a longer vent, they keep spawing when im not in the room darn it ! tonight ive seen some tail slapping and lip locking. the boy seems to be really protective of the eggs and nudging her away from them. i assume this is normal. i think hes done it every time they have spawned.

The one on the right in that pic would be the female? Just was watching a keyhole pair spawn the the females egg depositor is HUGE compared to the guys little area down there

i assume fish dont have a complex for a small vent than the girls :)

the females ovipostor is rounder and broader.

the males 'thing' is sharper and kind of diagonally shaped.

yeah the one on the right does look bigger from what i can tell but the keep turning away from me and staying near the back of the tank not wanting to see

Nice fish, the only thing you no for certain is that you have at least one female :lol:

At a guess the one on the right,but you still could have two females.Until you get wrigglers you won't know for sure

cheers flosty - i hope they are not 2x girls, that would be disappointing, how long till wrigglers come along after laying?

i think mine like the night time too but the tank light is still on so not sure if they think its night time yet or not. i had to put a partition in my tank so the swordtails and neons dont get in there an eat the eggs while the parents are busy tail slapping and nudging each other away from the eggs.

1 week to the day my discus have gotten jiggy with it again :) it looks like some of the other fish managed to get in and eat some of the eggs but now I've separated the parents and the rest of the fish in the community tank. i noticed that one of the fish is probably fanning the eggs and nudging the other one away - is it normal ? and which one would be the female going by this behavior.

cheers

skip

My Golden Red Melons spawned last week and the female did all the fanning and hardly let the male near the eggs. Two of my Blue Turqs spawned yesterday (very unexpectedly - she had only been in the tank 8 days!) while I was at work and the male is doing almost all the fanning and not letting the female near them!

As for sexing them, the absolute best way to tell is to watch them in the act. The females breeding tube is very wide and ends bluntly, much like a cylinder. The males breeding tube ends in quite a sharp point and is overall smaller than the females. Once they have finished spawning the tubes will still be partially visible (the females especially), just behind the anal vent.

BTW, stunning looking fish!

Good luck.

My Golden Red Melons spawned last week and the female did all the fanning and hardly let the male near the eggs. Two of my Blue Turqs spawned yesterday (very unexpectedly - she had only been in the tank 8 days!) while I was at work and the male is doing almost all the fanning and not letting the female near them!

As for sexing them, the absolute best way to tell is to watch them in the act. The females breeding tube is very wide and ends bluntly, much like a cylinder. The males breeding tube ends in quite a sharp point and is overall smaller than the females. Once they have finished spawning the tubes will still be partially visible (the females especially), just behind the anal vent.

BTW, stunning looking fish!

Good luck.

congrats on your spawn :) i think im going to have to watch the fish next week if they spawn again but its hard since the tank is in our bedroom and they seem to like doing it around dinner time... i have an incling that the girl was the smaller of the 2 on the right going by the pictures i posted and others comments but it would be nice to have confirmation, also confirmation that i dont have 2 girls would be good :bounce:

Happens every week without fail :lol:

It gets to be a cyclical pattern for a good pair.

They don't lay eggs when they start taking care of their babies, and should spend most of the time taking turns guarding the eggs and fanning them

Here is a video of mine - the first time they ever laid eggs months ago.