Geophagus altifrons - divided!

hovmoller

I have a large altifrons pair that have spawned several times but have always eaten the young.

I have recently had to separate them due to the male beating up on the female. She spent a month in recovery and when introduced back to the male he once again beat her nearly to death this time in only one day.. I separated them again, the female lost nearly all of her tail to infections.

She is now well again, tail fully healed and she is in great condition. In the meantime the male has grown bigger and stronger as well!

I am almost too scared of just putting her back with the male and getting her beat up again so I was thinking of a sort of tank divider that would let smaller tetras swim through but prevent the male from beating on her..

Would then situated some rockwork along HER side of the net and hope that they are able to court each other through the divider.. enough so that she would lay her eggs on the rocks and he would attempt to fertilize them from just beside on the other side of the net. (perhaps with water current from his to her side?

If succesful then just let her raise the fry..

Anyone out there with experience in this?? I have read about it where it has been used for aggresive african cichlids..

Hope someone has some great ideas of technique and material for divider??

Have looked around bunnings etc. but have not found any net/mesh that would let tetras through but stop Geos..

Thanks!

If it was me i would use a piece of perspex as the devider and cut a hole in it small enough for her so if he get agressive she can escape to the other side leaving him stuck on the other this way she can come and go as she pleases and if they do spawn then just remove the male?

If it was me i would use a piece of perspex as the devider and cut a hole in it small enough for her so if he get agressive she can escape to the other side leaving him stuck on the other this way she can come and go as she pleases and if they do spawn then just remove the male?

That's a good idea and I saw that in the same book as well.. Very useful for species where there is a big difference in size between male/female eg. Jewel cichlids..

The difference in the profile of each fish is not that big though... and I would have to cut an exact oval shape for her body... but then he might get stuck there and if the female grows a bit she would not be able to fit through anymore... It's a 600x600mm cross section of tank so would be a big piece of acrylic too!

There was an article in one of the magazines a while ago about a guy who spawned his pair of festae like that (but because the female was bigger than the male and would have killed him). Divider in the middle, flat rock on her side and a powerhead gently pushing water from his side towards the rock.

Shame yours are so aggressive, hope I don't end up with problems like that! Perhaps thats why its usually recommended to keep them in harems...

There was an article in one of the magazines a while ago about a guy who spawned his pair of festae like that (but because the female was bigger than the male and would have killed him). Divider in the middle, flat rock on her side and a powerhead gently pushing water from his side towards the rock.

Shame yours are so aggressive, hope I don't end up with problems like that! Perhaps thats why its usually recommended to keep them in harems...

So it can be done.. that's good to hear..

As far as I have read it is very common for altifrons to include "aggresion" in their courtship behavior but as you say if I'd had a bunch of them he could have directed some of that aggresion towards the group and not just his female..

In my case it does not look like typical cichlid territorial aggresion but more the type to be expected in courtship.. but he just goes on and on and on and on...... if he could just get it in his head that this is the only female around and he needs to start treating her better! :)

Can you remember where you saw that article David? would love to see what kind of net/mesh he used..

Of course, it was written about [probably] my favourite cichlids, I have the magazine here. He used that plastic stuff the yanks call "egg crate". Its commonly available over there and even in Australia, but all I can find here is aluminium stuff. Its used as a diffuser in air conditioning and commercial lighting, I've tried just about everywhere in the yellow pages with no luck. If you can find some of the plastic stuff here I'll gladly shout you a beer some time!!!

So there is still a chance for a beer then?

I remember the stuff you are talking about David but haven't seen it since secondary school back in Denmark, hehe.

I also saw it in a video on cichlidforum where he used it in an african setup under the sand to place rocks on.

Anyway the mesh I had in mind would ideally be 20x20mm openings, innert synthetic stuff and sort of soft so fish don't hurt themselves on it.. been looking around but can't seem to find my dream mesh.. any ideas anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update:

Divider works really well. The pair is very interrested in each other but he can no longer beat her up

01.jpg

Yesterday I noticed her obsessively cleaning the rocks and wanting him to come close so I lifted the divider to give them some interaction. It didn't last long until he was again constantly chasing and nipping her so divider went back in place.

02.jpg

When I came home from work today they had already begun spawning :bounce: The males doing the best he could from the other side of the "fence" (not easy I guess)

03.jpg

I then lifted the divider again but of course it just turned into a constant chase again.

04.jpg

The handsome male.

05.jpg

Female with egg laying tube showing.

06.jpg

Finally I put the divider back in and after a while they continued the spawn.

07.jpg

I have my doubts how succesful this spawn will be given that he was on the other side and not as participating as he should be...But she has a mouthfull of eggs now so time will tell...