prices on arowana

myfishybuisness

wowww thats heaps

Actually its not, thats a pretty good starting price for a red aro (well one thats actually red, as evil_elmo said the lower grade ones are usually orange or pink), you better be sitting down if/when King gets back to you with a price for the VIP.....

Bang-for-buck colour you can't go past a basic RTG. Look at Henwards, yeah the colour doesn't go all the way to the top row of scales, but its still a really nice looking fish for $1.5-2k-ish. If your budget doesn't stretch that far then your best choice would be jardini if you're wanting a solo fish, or black if you want tankmates with it.

The guy that imports them knows his stuff.

i bought a qian hu red before, for 900 dollars, it was so so, pink in colour... never really got red.

and really disappointing, also not as lively and active as a good quality animal.

MY RTG is a huge monster, bred from a good PANG LONG farm..... the higher grades usually have traits such as fast growth, strong fish and appetite. Aros 'fast' occasionally for periods of a few dsays to sometimes couple weeks in some cases..... good animals generally dont fast as much. My red fasted always, my rtg...hardly ever.

my rtg costs retail $2500, that is 3rd down the cheapest of the aros! when it comes to asian arowanas.

i tried exploring importing myself or paying an importer to do it. the cost of shipping, risk and having to sh ip 6 to 10 fish at one time, quarantine, licensing with CITES, holding tanks at home while for sale.... all of which, 3500 to 4k for a 'chilli red' or 4 to 5k for a VIP or 5 to 7k for higher grades really isnt as much when you look atit

i think, the question is.

1) Do you love aros enough to spend that much, IF NOT. then ..... i suggest you buy a jardinii, they have nice colours, aggressive fish and natural too..... and cheap!

or a black aro, but black aros are shy untill quite large!! slow to settle compared to other aros.

2) Do you really want to spend that much on a fish? I WOULD, would you? sounds like you would not:)

I had the guy from that website explain to me in detail how it works, also another breeder from pang long farm explain to me also on MFK, named KOJI.... has one of the largest arowana farms in asia.... below is more detail

when ou say 'red' arowanas, high grade red or cheap red.

Cheap reds usually are green crosswed with a yellow tail wild animal...comes out pinkish in colour with a orangy tail....not really spectacular, not much different to a silver arowana fed plenty of shrimp and pellets to have a pink tinge to its body.

Many feed silvers beef herat, which apparently turns its scales a dull silver to almost off white.... someone told me not sure i have not experimented.

high grade reds, when they give birth... say 30 babies come out.... from two awesome parents, your likelihood of having all high end perfect reds are low...

so what they do is pick them from a young age, from experienced spotters..... they categorise them to different categories and prices.

examples..... say in a batch of 100..

50 will be 'chilli red' whcih is good, may take longer to be red or not as red when adult..... but cheaper at say 3 to 4k.

then another 40 will be VIP RED. 4 to 5k.... which is more red to begin with, will be more red as adults faster etc....

then you have the last few KING VIP RED or something meaning they are the best picks of the bunch.... 6 to 7k.

overseas, i have seen people with fish of 2 to 3 years old bought as a cheaper chilli red look better than some VIP...this is unusual but can happen, humans are never 100% accurate.... this is all speculation from educated eyes and guesses....

so, if you buy a chilli red, your fish will be stunning... but, will it be as stunnig as a VIP or KING VIP?

maybe not.... tiny tiny chance yes.... but more likley not as nice.

buy one! aros rule!~

for 700, you can only get jar, green, black silver in nz. maybe a grade 2 red.

IN my opinion, as you can see with my tank, i have an RTG with about 40 other fish

with aros, i find that its either lots of fish or by it self. middle ground does not always work. but reds apparently have a better temprament.

I would suggest first and foremost, ensure your arowana is the top dog, any other fish that die, its ok, they dont cost 3k plus.

so iw ould set up a tank wtih a pleco and relatively risk free fish (risk free to the arowana)

then get the arowana to establish, and bring in fish, from a small age to be in the tank.

I find that wtih arowanas, you need CANNON FODDERS. as mean as it may sound, i find this was the key to others survival such as clown knives and BGKs OR even discus

fish that get in the aros face but cant harm it like silver dollars, parrot cichlid, tinfoil barbs would definitely be in my top of the list

what size is your tank?

then i would intro from a small age, an oscar, oscars i found challenges the aro and keeps it distracted as with the tinfoils and silver dollars from attacking things like clown knives and weaker fish. oscars are robust....

Sa your tank is 700Litres (i would not recommend any less for a aro costing more than a second hand car!!)

i would say the following configuration in order of introduction.

Red aro (i would order a chilli red 3 to 4k in price) because i find it would be best value for money in my opinion...some may argue.

Pleco

tinfoil barbs x3

Parrot chichlid

small oscar

Clown knife at least 10 inches in size.

something like that anyways.

I would put fast fish that will annoy and distract the aro.... eventually the aro will kinda lose spirit i found and stop harassing them.... then you can intro other fish.

If it doesnt stop harassing tinfoils, then you have an agro aro.... then dont intro anything else....

tin foils are good indicators of the aros potential to be tanked with other mates.

Borneo tigers are fantastic aro tank mates. they seem to never have aggression with one another... in all my experiences... borneo tiger seems to go in and straight away get along with aros.

video of my tank here so you can get an indication of what i have:

i dont think tank size will be a problem as my tank is 2.4m long by 60 wide and 60 high so roughly 860litre

Shape is more important than total litres with arowana, 60cm wide is ok, but it won't last for ever. You'll have to look at something 75cm+ wide eventually.

*edit* just saw your post in the other thread, is it 70cm wide or 60cm? :-?