chain loach fry ?

oneeyedfrog

About two weeks ago I got 6 dwarf chain loaches - they have been by themselves in bb QT with a couple of caves and some floating indian fern.

They didn't seem to eat anything at first and one died. Then they started muching snails and checking out other foods

Tonight I was checking with a light to see if they had eaten and I saw two tiny little fry swimming around the surface.

They are smaller than guppy fry ( absolutely tiny) and have shining white eyes ( the only reason I spotted them).

Google sez chain loaches don't often spawn in tanks but I can't figure out what else they could be as the plants etc have been in there 2 weeks now.

I put in some java moss so they could eat any yummies off it- they are so tiny - and also put a couple of squirts of green water in.

I tried getting pics but couldn't get a good one

Here they are anyway- top right

fry.jpg

frycloseup.jpg

Any ideas on what else they could be or how to care for them?

The chain loaches and plants have been in the tank by themselves for two weeks now.

I was puzzled thinking that these fry had just appeared but thinking about it I guess they may have hatched a while ago and just been even tinier so I hadn't noticed.

I collected up all the extra indian fern from a few tanks and had it sitting in a bucket and just grabbed a couple of bits out .

They could be neons, glowlights, diamond tetras or danios in that case.

I hope they survive so I can find out what they are :lol:

I haven't bred loaches before but would expect loach fry to hang around the bottom of the tank not around the top like these guys seem to be. I would pick one of these guys neons, glowlights, diamond tetras or danios, the danios are the easiest to breed and the hardiest..

It will be interesting to see what they are as they grow, can you catch them and ensure their survival?

Would be an interesting poll - Guess the fish :)

I haven't bred loaches before but would expect loach fry to hang around the bottom of the tank not around the top like these guys seem to be.

That's what I thought too Ryan. But couldn't think where else they could suddenly come from. But realising that they could be quite old already - even though they are so tiny changes things :D

When you shine a light on them their eyes glow and the bigger ones tummy shines too- they are long and skinny so I reckon neon or glowlight. But I have never seen any of these fry so who knows.

I was in too minds whether to move them seeing as they have survived this far. I will set up a tank today and try moving them.

Would be an interesting poll - Guess the fish

Winner gets a guppy :lol: :lol:

• 4 weeks later...