Fluorescent wattages bulb vs controller

WTM

Sorry if this has been asked before, but I have a bit of a question.

I'm currently setting up a new terrarium for my dragon, and so far I have nearly everything sorted, but the lights.

Which is what I'd like some advice on...

To maximise the uv, I want to install the lights on the inside of the mesh (rather than above), so am looking at using a seperate light controller and 90cm bulbs... However on looking around the two main light controllers options I am looking at, are either 20w or 40w

Now, the thing is the bulbs I already have are both 30w bulbs...

Now I know with stand indancescent (sp?) you can use a variety of wattages in a fitting, but I'm not sure about fluoro's.

So, can I use the 30w bulbs in the 40w controller?

Lighting controllers were an extremely unsuccessful product here in NZ particularly because of the high price which meant people could buy an entire unit for the price of the controllers.

I have made an enquiry about a controller just last week from the wholesaler (no I cannot name them) but any store that has some knowledge about what they are can order a few sizes in for you.

from memory I recall 18W, 30W? and a couple others and size dependent they were about $120 or so for a double controller which obviously has sockets for 2 lights.

Lighting controllers were an extremely unsuccessful product here in NZ particularly because of the high price which meant people could buy an antire unit for the price of the controllers.

Yeah, am getting that feeling....

I've used the entire units in the past, but for this I really would prefer to have the lights inside the terrarium...

Might pop into one of the pet stores on the way home and enquire about an order... or give a lighting supplier a call.

I guess I could try a hydroponic supply place, but I'd really prefer not tp invite a house raid... :lol:

You can buy ballast, waterproof (not really necessary in your case) endcaps, wire and plug from somewhere like Rexel, for a fraction of the cost of buying the entire light control units, and assemble them yourself. You can even go high-tech and get an ECG ballast (Electronic Control Gear), if you so desire.

Thanks guys has been a real help...

Jason - That's exactly what I was considering, but it seems they don't stock the 30w model... :(

As per Fishplants comment, I've been in contact with an electrical supplier, and they reckon it can be done for less than 1/2 the price.... plus each tube would be seperate, so advantage of redundancy...

I use a double 40 watt model of that for my reptiles. You have to have both tubes going at the same time or they don't work. They come in various sizes and I bought mine off trademe. They can be set for 10,12 and 14 hours on and rather than a time they stay on for the time you set from when you turn it on. I don't have it but I am sure there will be people on here with the knowledge to make one from parts. Cheaper--dearer--don't know.

First pet store said the can't get them anymore...

Second pet store has not got back to me yet

Electrical store reckons about $50-$60 all up.

On top of that is reflectors, which I can find listed online.

Will update as it progresses..

• 2 weeks later...

Still no response from 2nd pet store....

Electrical supplier I tried, also never got back to me....

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Talking to another electrical supplier, and apparently the regular manufacturers of battens, are all moving away from 3ft fittings... Is arranging for a 30w electronic ballast from the Wellington store, though not sure where I'd mount the ballast.

Should have gone with two 2 foot tubes, or compact fluoro bulbs me thinks.....

And the new terrarium has arrived, so I need to get this sorted. :bounce: :bounce:

If the first shop has looked properly and can't get them then the second wont be able to. There are only a few importers of Aquarium products and all shops use the same suppliers. Controllers/ballasts for T8 tubes are out dated now, bit like trying to buy an old curved screen TV. Your best bet is to keep an eye on trade me or ask round at your local fish club, a lot of guys have old units sitting round.

If the first shop has looked properly and can't get them then the second wont be able to. There are only a few importers of Aquarium products and all shops use the same suppliers. Controllers/ballasts for T8 tubes are out dated now, bit like trying to buy an old curved screen TV. Your best bet is to keep an eye on trade me or ask round at your local fish club, a lot of guys have old units sitting round.

Thought as much... in a way this was a test to see which of our local stores was the more responsive.

Not naming names, but it was interesting which store got back to me the next day (the chain store), and which one never even got back to me.

Indeed it seems the case with T8, but unfortunately no one is yet making reptile bulbs in the T5 form, we seem to be the poor cousins.

At this point, we needed to sort something or we'd be risking our beardy's health as the new terrrarium has arrived, so we've gone with compacts for now.

Thought as much... in a way this was a test to see which of our local stores was the more responsive.

Not naming names, but it was interesting which store got back to me the next day (the chain store), and which one never even got back to me.

Indeed it seems the case with T8, but unfortunately no one is yet making reptile bulbs in the T5 form, we seem to be the poor cousins.

At this point, we needed to sort something or we'd be risking our beardy's health as the new terrrarium has arrived, so we've gone with compacts for now.

Have you tried Rexel? The branch here in CHCH has magnetic ballast for T8 (last time I was in there a couple of months ago), and there are electronic ballast made by Osram that will do both T5 and T8 - the QTi series from memory.

If you don't have any luck, let me know what you want and I will get it from Rexel and send it to you.

I am pretty sure that Redwood Aquatics (CHCH) has some of the Interpet controllers too, these are the ballast/leads/endcaps - plug and play.

cheers

I had spoken to the Advance Electrical store just down the road from my house on Saturday, and the guy was going to arrange for an electronic ballast for me...

TBH though, I got a bit nervous about wiring it all up (we had an experience with bad wiring in our house the other year, and I've worked in the electricity industry so seen the horror pictures), and decided to instead just go with getting some compacts instead.