My Apistogrammas

Fee

I Recently purchased 6 Apistos for myself. They were sold as Blue Faced Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlids. But I am fairly confident that they are not Apistogramma cacatuoides. I've looked around the internet & the closest things I can find are maybe Apistogramma borelii or Apistogramma trifasciata- maybe...

I phoned the importer and they are not sure either.

Has anyone else seen them around or maybe purchased some and been able to make a positive ID?

Mine are predominantly blue with blue facial striations on a greyish background. At present the don't seem to have developed any dorsal extensions but I may have to study them more closely.

Fee said...

> They were sold as Blue Faced Agassiz's Dwarf Cichlids.

> But I am fairly confident that they are not Apistogramma

> cacatuoides.

You've looked at the pictures at:

http://www.apistogramma.com/gallery.htm

I've not seen the recent import but a couple of species have

been available over the years. None have lasted very long

although A. cacatuoides was bred several times.

Breed 'em if you can and spread 'em around. Pencil me in for

some ;-)

Andrew.

That's one of the pages I looked at on my search..

I'd like to breed them, but we'll have to wait and see once they have settled a bit more.

They are really pretty and I hope they show up on a list again as I would buy more!!

I have seen these here in Napier as well, a beautiful fish, they are not Cacatuoides, my initial thought was Agassizii, which it well may be or looking through my dwarf cichlid book it could be what they call "As Yet Undescribed"

Leads me onto an interesting question though

"How did it get past MAF if the importer cant tell you what it is???" :o

What did he tell MAF it was?? :roll:

I would say that they are not A.agassizi - ignoring colour differences the fins are the wrong shape - Agassizi has a spade shaped tail, these blue faces have a rounded tail.

As for how they get past MAF - as all Apistogramma species are allowed they may not have given a species name or just called them A. agassizi (who at MAF would be any the wiser?)

I'm not aware of any Waikato member having bred the blue faces - but then I'm not the breeding coordinator so it may have slipped past me, and not all fish keepers in Hamilton are club members.

Bought a new book today "The most complete coloured lexicon of Cichlids"

Having flicked quickly through it (I think it would take a few years to read thouroghly) The closest resembalence I can find is Apistogramma moae, however the fish in the book isn't so brightly coloured. I've done a search through probably every website mentioning the word Apistogramma and there are barely any pics of this moae, and those that there are are usually in funny lighting or dead which don't help me much!!

Thank you all for your imput, I'll keep my eyes and ears open. At the end of the day they are still a lovely little fish and I guess that's what really matters :)

• 1 month later...

I've had a good search on there, but you can't be sure you haven't missed something, it's such a big site.

They are still doing well- I lost two early on, but the four that are left seem pretty happy and are growing well and bossing the discus around. They have staked out a few territories and yesterday three of them were doing some pretty impressive shaking & wagging- total colour change, they seem to have 3 colour moods; dark grey, sparkley blue and at their crazy moments a creamy yellow with a bit of blue.