Mosquito Larvae 2010

SamH

Your mum is probably killing them off when you are at school so that she does not get savaged by the mozzies in the evening Sam :wink:

Bucket that is usually teeming with daphnia has got a few cruising about - not enough to scoop and feed out, but the red tub that normally has nothing in it is teeming with them and mozzie larvae and bloodworms. It is half full of sunk camellia flowers and leaves along with the odd silver birch leaf and catkin thingys.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your mum is probably killing them off when you are at school so that she does not get savaged by the mozzies in the evening Sam :wink:
I'm always home when she's home, no way she could do that! Just my bad/good luck I guess :roll:

Cam I tend to just scoop out the bugs and try to leave as much algae in the container as possible. No risks so long as you know what's in the body of water.

You are only after the mozzie larvae or daphnia if there is any in there. Don't put the algae in your tank!

How I harvest them is get a container and fill it with fresh water if you are going to feed out straight away, or tank water if you are going to keep them for a couple of days and feed them out slowly. Net the critters out and put them in the container. You do not want to be adding the water from the outside container to your tanks, and I feed them out with a turkey baster into the tanks.

yay my first mozzie larvae of the year have arrived!!!

theres small wormy things swimming around in there, are they safe? (haven't noticed them before) about 3-5mm long lightish brown and actively swimming round, don't look like a blood worm, white worm, black worm etc....

I get a quarter of a cup of tank water in a cup, take my extend-o-net (tea strainer on a stick) and harvest out the bugs into the clean water. I know I look like a right weiro peering over the edge trying to see the bottom, none of these neighbours have ever asked me what I'm doing yet though. There is blanket weed in there so I make sure not to put any in the tank, though I doubt it would survive anyway. My bugtopia trough is topped up with old fish water and is sparkly clean when I haven't stirred up the bottom. There is oxygen weed growing well and I have just started some stargrass too.

I think that there are so many bugs thriving in there that it can't be bad water or they wouldn't be alive.

• 2 weeks later...