Juwel Rio 240 set up for SA Cichlids (Warning: Photos)

DennisP

I have a question for Geo Keepers. If they spawn, I hear they can get quite aggressive/territorial/defensive. How aggressive do they get? If I introduce a BGK, it will almost certainly eat the eggs/fry and for this reason the geo's will almost certainly attack the BGK, unless it is super ninja. I suspect a youngish BGK would be quite delicate and I wouldn't want it to get injured.

So what are they like as parents? Will they attack and kill, or just chase around the tank?

I used to breed heaps of different Geos. It depends on the type you are planning to get. Some are peaceful and some are territorial. Some mouth brood and care for the offspring and some lay eggs on surfaces and eat their eggs, like rams. :-?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah yes.... Panaque is a large genus that includes the Royals. There are a few different types of Royal plecos as well :lol:

Have a look through here - http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/ge ... _id=27#337

The Dull Eye is L191 and one of my favourites, and is more likely to be sold as "royal pleco" here.

Some royals become absolute monsters :o

Looks like Panaque Nigrolineatus L190, if you're after the red eye on stripey pyjama look avoid the L191 - as the common name suggests they have a dull coloured eye. Mind you I have a 10cm L191 called Mr Jim Jams, and he's by far and wide my favourite pleco. He lives on silica sand and digs tunnels all over the place, so great you've got a sandy bottom :D - it really helps to bring out natural behaviour in the plecos and especially the geos. I love watching my fish chewing through the sand and filtering it out of their gills - looks kinda like they're smoking! Great work on the aquascape BTW, looks fantastic :hail:

Looks like Panaque Nigrolineatus L190, if you're after the red eye on stripey pyjama look avoid the L191 - as the common name suggests they have a dull coloured eye. Mind you I have a 10cm L191 called Mr Jim Jams, and he's by far and wide my favourite pleco. He lives on silica sand and digs tunnels all over the place, so great you've got a sandy bottom :D - it really helps to bring out natural behaviour in the plecos and especially the geos. I love watching my fish chewing through the sand and filtering it out of their gills - looks kinda like they're smoking! Great work on the aquascape BTW, looks fantastic :hail:

Thanks!

All I'm really after is one with stripes that looks like that previously posted. Eye colour doesn't really concern me. (Also I like the way its sorta short and fat)

@P44, This is why I ask for other people's advice. :lol: