shrimps

jaimec

If they're straight from the wild, I personally would acclimatise them slowly.

I only put my ones in relatively quick because there was only about 1-2 degree increase.

It would be quite hard for them to adapt to a change from our cold waters to the high temps of tropical tanks,

and I don't see any major difficulty in spending a week to slowly increase temps.

It would definitely keep them in better health/condition than a straight dump into what would be Hot water for them

If they're straight from the wild, I personally would acclimatise them slowly.

I only put my ones in relatively quick because there was only about 1-2 degree increase.

It would be quite hard for them to adapt to a change from our cold waters to the high temps of tropical tanks,

and I don't see any major difficulty in spending a week to slowly increase temps.

It would definitely keep them in better health/condition than a straight dump into what would be Hot water for them

\

thx for the info dream.

my plan is to just set the natives shrimps tank only. so i will not put any other tropitcal fishes in, however, i wants to grow some plants. and the people said i need to have warmer water to grow the plants.... so i might need to raise the temperature up a bit..... so,, hopefully the shrimps will survives... finger cross...

hey!! alex!

its good to see that the shrimps are doing good!

how are the ones that you got from me are they doing well =)

i have few coloured ones that i have up for swaps if your interested in them, as i only gave you clear ones

pretty keen on some more plants too if you have some for swaps =)

if you havent seen i have the pics up on my post http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48900&start=15

btw how is your thesis going :lol:

i tend to find that female shrimps are larger and have much more colouring then their male companions :D

Yep, native shrimps start off as males and grow up to be females (they saw the light ;)

This is called 'protandry' literally meaning 'first-male', only the NZ shrimp does this.

hi,

since joining, i've been real keen on setting up a tropical planted aquarium. but i've stumbled upon NZ natives and am now quite interested in having a freshwater shrimp aquarium.

anyone in the wellington area that can point me to where i can get a few freshwater shrimps to start my tank? i've just been in the khandallah area with the wife and read about koura in the stream but i really would like shrimps to keep.

help.

you can also get some at totara park cray fish and shrimp

hey!! alex!

its good to see that the shrimps are doing good!

how are the ones that you got from me are they doing well =)

i have few coloured ones that i have up for swaps if your interested in them, as i only gave you clear ones

pretty keen on some more plants too if you have some for swaps =)

if you havent seen i have the pics up on my post http://www.fnzas.org.nz/fishroom/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48900&start=15

btw how is your thesis going :lol:

alan~, where do you catch all those different colour of shrimps???? are they locate in auckland????

thx alot.

Yep, native shrimps start off as males and grow up to be females (they saw the light ;)

This is called 'protandry' literally meaning 'first-male', only the NZ shrimp does this.

stealla, according to this statement, will that only applies in the wild or will happen in the fish tank also?

thx.

yea i put them in both my tanks and only had one die in the 60L but about 7 in the larger one and i think that may be on account for my fish so trying to find them all to put in the smaller one. but apart from that they seem fine. great to watch my female fighters try to figure out what they were =p