My 60cm Aquascape

DennisP

Most of us start spreading before we sag! :roll: :lol:

haha Caryl, I didn't see your joke :D

tank looks nice Dennis - is it duckweed and riccia you have? I can see the hanging roots of something. ANd what's the tall wavy plant in the back right corner? It looks like what I need to cover my filter too

I just can't stop drooling over how cool your tank is :hail: . Definately a true Amazon biotope :bow: .

What are those round leaves on the bottom? They don't exactly look like oak leaves, and it's cool to know there are other leaves in NZ, other than oak leaves, that are aquarium-safe.

Joe :D

I just can't stop drooling over how cool your tank is :hail: . Definately a true Amazon biotope:bow: .

What are those round leaves on the bottom? They don't exactly look like oak leaves, and it's cool to know there are other leaves in NZ, other than oak leaves, that are aquarium-safe.

Joe :D

It is not a true biotope at all. :lol:

Amazon biotope I would expect to see dirty dirty water, and some driftwood with very low light.

No idea.

I guess any dried leave should be safe. Unless the plant is poisonous.

But it looks so Amazony, if that's even a word :lol:

Not all parts of the Amazon River are dirty and muddy; there are areas that are tannin-stained but the water is also very clear.

The light in your tank doen't look execptionally bright, but yes it could be a little dimmer, but I think it looks cool how it is.

Most of the plants in your tank are ones that come from the Amazon; your fish are Amazonian, you have some lovely sand for the substrate, and the dead leaves in the tank are giving the water tannins.

So I still think it is a biotope :D :lol:

In regards to leaves in tanks...Oak is a pretty safe bet, also beech leaves are good. only get leaves from the autumn drop. This is because they pull all the sugars etc back into the tree ready to conserve energy during Winter, I read somewhere that you can get bacterial and algae blooms if you dry summer leaves. Also make sure they are well rinsed and then dried before adding, this will eliminate the greeblies. Same article also said not to boil leaves first....

It was an internet article written by a Park Ranger try googling it, it was short but had pretty good advice IMO.

Nice work BTW guys :hail:

Started with about 1/3 covered.

Tonight its at about 2/3.

Will take out half of that tomorrow when I WC.

Plants are still quite new and growing their roots so there hasn't been too much grow yet.

My other tank was completely covered and the plants weren't doing too well, so I took most of it out and they seem to be doing better now. HTH

Thanks for comments guys! :hail: