Stock suggestions for a long / shallow tank

the-obstacle

Looking good! Give the ambulia some time and it'll thrive :D

Thanks, the rest of the black is what I'd like to fill out with some low growing grass of some sort so the ambulia makes the 2 forest sections with some low lying green in the rest. I'll start hunting in a little while, for now I'll just enjoy what's there. Stoked! :bounce:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats your planned stock list?

at the moment it looks a little like this:

5 x Black Neon Tetra (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)

5 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)

3 x Oto (Otocinclus vittatus)

5 x Featherfin Rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri)

3 x Guppy (Poecilia reticulata)

5 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)

1 x Flying Fox (Epalzeorhynchos kalopterus)

5 x Neon Tetra (Paracheirodon innesi)

but that would be maxed out so I'll build it up slowly until I think I've got the right balance.

Personally, I'd get a good school of a single type of fish, rather than 4 different types in little schools. A larger school of one type of fish, say 20 cardinals, will have a much greater visual impact than many smaller schools of different fish. Plus the fish will feel much more secure with more of their own kind around them.

HTH

Personally, I'd get a good school of a single type of fish, rather than 4 different types in little schools. A larger school of one type of fish, say 20 cardinals, will have a much greater visual impact than many smaller schools of different fish. Plus the fish will feel much more secure with more of their own kind around them.

HTH

+1

SamH wrote:

HTH

+1

+2

Excellent, now what type of schooling fish? :lol:

20 x Cardinal Tetra (Paracheirodon axelrodi)

3 x Panda Cory (Corydoras panda)

?

or

20 x Featherfin Rainbowfish (Iriatherina werneri)

or

15-20 x {insert schooling fish here}

I'm keen on the otos and cories for their sand stiring and algae eating expertise and I already have the flying fox and black neons in the tank so would prefer not to move them out. Maybe 25 black neons? They're cool but not quite flashy enough and I'd prefer the hardiness of the cardinals over the neons (just in case).

After looking at the new batch of Rasboras that are coming in, I'd recommend your pick of any one of them!

They are pretty cheap too, usually retailing for under $6 I think.

Yeah, I liked the look of some of those too.

The 5 neons seem to be doing a slooooow job of cycling my tank - hardly any amonia and no nitrites or nitrate yet even with the seeded filter, gravel and water from the previous tank. It turned out the gravel from teh old tank had A LOT of dead or dying stuff in it that has lowered the PH in the new tank even with the crushed shell in it so I've got to work on getting that back up from ~6.4 to nearer to 7.0 over the next few days.