Sick discus - fin rot

Michelle.g

Hi all,

I will try to keep a long story short.....

During the earthquake last weekend my community tank fell over and landed on a tank full of young discus. The survivors have been through a huge amount of stress. 20ish discus (only 3 adults) and a few cories, tetras etc are now all in a tank together. Last night I found a dead discus and this morning a dead cardinal. :cry:

I can see white patches, probably fin rot, on about 8 of the young discus.

What can I do to help them?

Is the fin rot a result of stress? bad water quality? an infection?

Since Sunday, I have been doing daily approx. 25% water changes (I boiled all water for 3 minutes and allowed it to cool right down before use).

I have added salt to the tank.

I'm using a sponge filter.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Could be the differnce in the pH of the water your using, causing PH Burn.

I had this will a couple of Discus I had shipped to me, looks terrible.

The dead part of the Fins will turn white then drop off, and regrow.

Lots of good quality water changes, and they will be all good in no time.

If they start to fungus then I would use the Furan 2.

Lynda

Thanks for the replies.

how big is this tank?

The tank is 175L, which I know isn't good but the best I can do for the moment. :(

I will start doing 50% water changes daily. I did another 25% change this evening too.

Does anyone know, has anything been added to the Chch water supply? eg. chlorine.

Eight of my discus ended up on the floor due to the 'quake. Four of them developed disintegrating fins, cloudiness to the skin and eye - strangely enough it was only on one side of each of the fish. I added salt to the tanks at the rate of one 20ml tablespoon per 20 litres, and also Aqua Plus at the rate of 10ml per 40 litres.

One of the fish died (it had been on the floor for about 20 minutes -I couldn't find it quickly as it was in the back of the wardrobe). The other three have almost fully recovered with rapid regrowth of the damaged fins. I didn't do any water changes for a week because of risk of sewage in our water.

My large discus often bang themselves up a bit and develop fungus on the wound, I have given up worrying about it as it always comes right.

Hope your fish are better now?