What do you guys think he is?

Mcculloch

sp44?

lol

My older Browns look a little like that when in good mood and feed well

hard to tell as several names are used for tehse interchangably altho each describes a different sub species of Hap.

For example the kyogo flameback describes a fish that has two scientific names one old nomicalture and the other new ...neither of which are allowable in NZ

Yep -Happy and healthy sp.44 Brownae Hap IMO

Here's mine from Mr 'Auckland Jury". Still only young but colouring up nicely-Also feeding on NLS and thatseems to bring out reds/oranges in all my Africans. the fact it slow sinks is good for these guys as they seem to feed near the top so don't get overun by other malawi tankmates.

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0228-2.jpg

Nice specimen for sure 'SethG'

His barring comes and goes but never seems to be as intense as the browns I've seen.

And when this pic was taken I wasn't feeding him on NLS just standard Nutrafin cichlid pellets I'm using NLS now and he looks even better.

If I knew he was a brown I would get some females but I don't want to with out being sure.

Well seth I have pleanty of those that you are welcome to

I guess a good comparsion will be Firenzenz fish as they came from me anyway. And with the NLS on board it will be interesting to see what they colour like

I am not 100% that he is but i am not 100% that he isnt either.

Hard to tell with some of these fish

What a pity is is that you dont have a name and colony of them or xmas fulus...lol

Sorry I digress

Maybe the LFS can tell you where he came from?

Tho I can hazard a guess

The males of sp.44 do tend to show a lot of variations, even to the very dark, almost black males.

And as with yours Seth mine will fluctuate with colour intensity and barring with moods.

My shots were taking just after feeding when there is the most amount of agression and flaring amongst tankmates.

Here is a shot at another time. Less Red when not so 'hyped' but I would say that the red is increasing in him.

DSC_0112s.jpg

Of course always a chance that is a mix of a couple of Victorian haps.

The 'flamebacks' I searched on a couple of cichlid sites have yellow or red anal fins and less red in tail whereas Sp.44 has more red in tail hence 'sp.44 thick skin Red tail'

He definitely look similar to yours firenzenz but its the amount of red that throws me.

At the end of the day he could be anything I suppose its a pity though as I would like to breed from him.

you can still breed from him just need to let future buyers know you are unsure of the parentage on the male

maybe call them thick skinned sethg :D

nice fish that would pass on nice genes if you are selective in the breeding

His barring comes and goes but never seems to be as intense as the browns I've seen.

And when this pic was taken I wasn't feeding him on NLS just standard Nutrafin cichlid pellets I'm using NLS now and he looks even better.

If I knew he was a brown I would get some females but I don't want to with out being sure.

That is a safe way to be, as an educated guess you can assume the only "pure" species of victorian hap we have in NZ is the brown haps (although burtoni are on the allowed list which would be awesome to see).. But it is also very hard to tell, maybe you have a very nice looking brown hap fed on good food and in a good position of dominance in your tank, or maybe you have something else..